We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sage French Cafe

Orange, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
297 reviews
Save Topic
Sage French Cafe

Has anyone been here lately? We have enjoyed this place many times in the past, but our last visit and recent reviews are not very good. On our last visit the waiter was terrible and the food came out cold and of much less quality than in previous visits. I'm actually wondering if there aren't new owners perhaps.

Any suggestions for a new French restaurant that won't break the bank? While we have many places that we return to in FLL, we do enjoy trying new places and like just about any cuisine.

Fort Lauderdale, FL...
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sage French Cafe

I haven't tried Sage's but I have noticed that they never seem to be crowded lunchtime. Don't know about dinner time.

I have two favorites to suggest to you.

Grandmas Cafe

3354 N. Ocean Blvd.

Fort Lauderdale

and

33rd and Dine

3330 N.E. 33rd St.

Fort Lauderdale.

Both are very affordable and less than 10 mins. from Sage

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,973 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sage French Cafe

I like both of those as well, though it is hard to get a table in Grandma's often because it is tiny ( half restaurant, half ice cream parlor.)

How far are you willing to travel? Amazingly there is a French restaurant in Margate ( on State Rd. 7 just south of Sample on the way to Coral Springs) called La Vie in Rose that is almost identical in menu to Sage. I still can't figure out how the two are related. I've never had bad food or a surley waiter there and they have essentially the same stuff- same preparation. I have picked it for the last two years as the place for the "girls" to take me for my birthday , so if you are out that way , you might see if it can be your new Sage. I haven't been to the old Sage since sometime last Spring when I went for lunch and enjoyed it as usual , so can't say what's going on there.

Do you ever go to Le Bonne Crepe on Las Olas? I like to go and have their non crepe dinner and maybe a crepe for dessert.

There is a place on Commercial Blvd. called Chez Laurent ( a bit east of Chuck's Steak House). I thought the food was good, but the waitstaff ( I think wife of the owner ) seemed surley- maybe she was just being "French"!

Orange, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sage French Cafe

Thanks Lu LU and Pat for your timely responses, we will keep all of your suggestions in mind. We wanted to go to 33rd and dine on our last trip but just ran out of time.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,973 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sage French Cafe

I really love 33rd and Dine and can walk there from my apartment- but I tend to go more for lunch. It's family owned- the family is from the Carribean- Owner/Hostess is Nadine- just a real sweetheart- I think the husband is cooking. I've really only had the crepes , quiches and the like ( all delicious) , but they have some appealing fish entrees at very reasonable prices- so I hope you manage to get it on your agenda next time. Parking is at meters, but last I looked it was 25 cents an hour- hope the City doesn't remember this and raise it- it's the lowest price I've seen anywhere!

Orange, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sage French Cafe

LuLu - After rereading your reply I realized i didn't answer your question about Le Bonne Crepe. Yes we have been there, but only for breakfast. I like their banana and walnut crepes.

I always wonder if Chez Laurent is owned by the same Chef Laurent that owns Sage.

We decided to stick with Embassy Suites as the others offer just a regular room. Even though it is only for three nights there we prefer a suite, then we move to Lago Mar.

6. Re: Sage French Cafe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, August 19, 2009