We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Super Bowl in February- Hotel Room Shortage Alert!!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,489 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Super Bowl in February- Hotel Room Shortage Alert!!

I'm going to try to keep bumping this up to alert travelers who may not know that Super Bowl 2007 will cause hotel rooms to be completely sold out ( most already are) for late January and early February 2007. If you are planning a trip or cruise- avoid those times!!!

I have posted a bit more information on an "Inside Page"

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g34227-s1/…Inside.html

Concord, NH
Level Contributor
23 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Super Bowl in February- Hotel Room Shortage Alert!!

Aw, MAN... now I know why that February 3rd cruise was so cheap.

Good thing I didn't give a deposit yet. Guess I'll be looking for a hotel further out, since it's always a good idea to fly in the day before the cruise, especially in the winter.

Suggestions? Pompano Beach, maybe?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,489 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Super Bowl in February- Hotel Room Shortage Alert!!

Pompano is just as filled up as is Boca Raton- you would probably have to go about an hour North ( West Palm Beach) and not sure if that is even possible. If you could find a cruise out of Port Canavaral ( near Cocoa Beach), that would probably work.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,489 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Super Bowl in February- Hotel Room Shortage Alert!!

By the way , I checked into rental cars for someone else and the smallest economy car is about triple the normal price - $79 plus taxes per day- usually less than $30.

The cruise lines usually sell their own pre and post cruise lodging/transportation packages, which are always very overpriced, but they may be the only option for folks coming down - as I imagine they blocked out their rooms well in advance- you might check and see what they have, but be prepared for sticker shock.

A two star, pretty seedy hotel in Boca was showing some available rooms at $300/ night- not a place I'd want to stay.

Fort Lauderdale FL
Level Contributor
196 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Super Bowl in February- Hotel Room Shortage Alert!!

Wow, The Atlantic wants $920 a night! You aren't kidding LuLu!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,489 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Super Bowl in February- Hotel Room Shortage Alert!!

I used to live in Cumberland , Maryland , and once a year during the sportscar races, you could actually rent rooms in your home for big bucks. My family once rented two chaise lounges on our screened in porch to a couple who were desperate- I'm eyeballing my patio- wonder what I could get for it that weekend.....?

Concord, NH
Level Contributor
23 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Super Bowl in February- Hotel Room Shortage Alert!!

Hey, if you're willing to put up two grayhairs, 60-year-old me and my 80-year-old mom, we can tawk!

?;^)

Concord, NH
Level Contributor
23 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Super Bowl in February- Hotel Room Shortage Alert!!

Oh, P.S. -- I called Princess cruise line and they have NOTHING.

I'm thinking maybe take the cruise a week later, when the price is a little higher but hotel availability is considerably better.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,489 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Super Bowl in February- Hotel Room Shortage Alert!!

I'm going to bump this up again, trying to keep it on the first page.(TA tells me they no longer do "stickies" which would permanently place it there.. too bad.

Amazing that Princess Cruises "has nothing" in the way of pre cruise accomodation packages. I really feel for folks who book cruises around Super Bowl dates and then get in a bad situation with nowhere to stay- wondering what airlines fares will be like- hotels and rental cars are through the roof in price if available at all.

People wil probably have to go north . perhaps to West Palm , which is an hour away,to find lodging, but a rental car to get there from FLL will be very costly and probably in very short supply!

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,069 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Super Bowl in February- Hotel Room Shortage Alert!!

Invaluable information for those of us planning ahead to next year.

Beech Grove, Indiana
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Super Bowl in February- Hotel Room Shortage Alert!!

Lulutoo (or whomever!),

I have two questions....Our cuise ship gets back to Fort Lauderdale on Feb. 4th. We already have pre-cruise accommodations and airfare going down there, but we're not sure whether or not to buy airfare yet for our flight home. We're wanting to leave FLL on the 4th, so hopefully (aside from all the other cruise ship passengers) we won't have too much competition from Super Bowl fans leaving FLL that day. Do you think that waiting to see if airfare goes down for our flight home is a bad idea? (We'd be flying from FLL to IND--Indianapolis.)

Also, we were planning to use taxi transportation to and from Port Everglades. Do you suppose that taxis would still be available for passengers arriving back at Port Everglades?

Thanks for any help!

Amy