We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family coming to visit for Christmas: Unique Experiences?

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Lauderdale FL
Level Contributor
196 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Family coming to visit for Christmas: Unique Experiences?

Hello!

I am a local, as some of you may know, my sister (29) and father (late 50's) will be coming down for the christmas Holiday December 22-26th (both from up North) They are staying at the Riverside Hotel since its very close to where I live. Since they have visited many times we've done all the touristy stuff. Wondering if anyone knew of any unique events or festivals we could attend during those dates.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,868 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family coming to visit for Christmas: Unique Experiences?

There is usually that gorgeous drive through Festival of Lights at Tradewinds Park in Pompano. It was cancelled last year because of the damage to the Park from the hurricane. I sure hope they will have it this year- it's so beautiful.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,868 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family coming to visit for Christmas: Unique Experiences?

Have you ever visited the Morikami Museum and Gardens in Palm Beach County? They have several activities related to the holidays in Japan- including the opportunity to make an origami dove either to place on their Holiday Peace Tree or to take home- the gardens themselves are beautiful as well, with many demonstrations of Japanese customs etc.

tokyo
Level Contributor
36 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family coming to visit for Christmas: Unique Experiences?

mediaspree - Sorry to invade on your topic, but it seems like we are having a similar issue with family over the holidays and it looks like I hit the spot the locals are at. I would love your input....

It's my mom's 60th birthday New Year day and she wants to do something fun, with say 50 of her closest friends (where no one drives if we do New Year Eve ) or something on New Year Day that is fun and different... any ideas? I just looked online at Hard Rock and they are all sold out....

We are all locals (or I should say they are locals... i will be planning this from Japan!) So any help or ideas is appreciated.

Something fun that I like to do when I go back home to visit is go to the Keys for the day... it's a nice drive and gets you out of town for a little while. South Beach is also a great day out!!! I know those are "touristy" but then again when you don't get sun and fun .. it's a great way to spend your holiday!

4. Re: Family coming to visit for Christmas: Unique Experiences?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, August 24, 2009