We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Johnny V or Blue Moon Fish Co. ?

STUART, FL
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Johnny V or Blue Moon Fish Co. ?

We are visiting Lauderdale for my birthday weekend and want a great dining experience. Last year we ate at Blue Moon and loved it. Johnny Vs sounds really interesting, too. Is it as good? Any other great ideas for mainly seafood, prepared creativly?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Johnny V or Blue Moon Fish Co. ?

Probably the best seafood in town is at a little place on Oakland Park Boulevard called Sunfish. It stared out as a storefront place in Pompano Beach and just recently relocated to slightly larger ( but still pretty small) quarters just west of Bayview Drive on Oakland Park. I'll see if I can find more info for you.

Johnny V seems to get mixed reviews- love it or hate it- I'll find you some reviews of that as well.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Johnny V or Blue Moon Fish Co. ?

Here are the latest reader reviews in our local paper Sunfish Grill 2761 E. Oakland Park Blvd.

Fort Lauderdale , FL

954-564-6464

Reader Reviews:

August 29, 2006

Ed Sharp

Portland, OR

This place is great. The food was wonderful. My female companion is normally not big on seafood but she really enjoyed it. The service was professional. The wine list was good and not over-priced. I highly recommend this place.

August 28, 2006

Tony

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Loved the old location in Pompano, but the new location is even better. Great space!! Food was amazing. Nice wine selection. Only one problem, our waiter was not friendly and seemed bothered at times.

August 27, 2006

Charlie

fort lauderdale, fl

I dined at Sunfish Grill earlier this week and was blown away. Our waiter asked us what WE liked and then offered us suggestions on the food and wine. The food is by far the best in town, but it is the personal touch of the chef and staff that truly makes Sunfish Grill a great dining experience. They have hit one out of the park. Tell all your friends because they will not be disappointed. Way to go Sunfish.

August 25, 2006

Rachel

Detroit, MI

After visiting the new Sunfish Grill location, I was pleased with the same romantic atmosphere along with old faces, reminding me that this is the best seafood restaraunt in Ft. Lauderdale!This is the type of place where you eat slowly, savoring every delicious bite; drink rapidly because the wine selection is so amazing and sit comfortably because it is so cozy.I highly recommend anyone who enjoys unique food and ambiance to endulge here immediately.

August 25, 2006

Rachel

Detroit, MI

After visiting the new Sunfish Grill location, I was pleased with the same romantic atmosphere along with old faces, reminding me that this is the best seafood restaraunt in Ft. Lauderdale!This is the type of place where you eat slowly, savoring every delicious bite; drink rapidly because the wine selection is so amazing and sit comfortably because it is so cozy.I highly recommend anyone who enjoys unique food and ambiance to endulge here immediately.

August 25, 2006

Laurie W.

Moneta, VA

While vacationing in Ft. Lauderdale, concierge at the hotel we were staying at recommended the Sunfish Grill. WOW!!! The best dinner we ever had!!! We travel a lot so it's wonderful when you find a restaurant were the food is outstanding and the service is spectacular. We ate at the Sunfish Grill 3 times during our stay in Ft. Lauderdale. We will definately be back next year. Great job with the decor too.

August 25, 2006

Dennis

Manhattan, NY

ABOVE AND BEYOND!!!!I can't say enough about the new Sunfish Grill.I was a regular at the old restaurant and I will probably be living at the new one when I'm down here. Everything was amazing as usual and extremely tasty. Especially the martinis!!!! Which were garnished to perfection.A night at the new Sunfish Grill should be a must for everyone living and visiting the area.And I love the professional staff almost as much as the food and DESSERTS!!!

August 24, 2006

DL George

Fort Lauderdale , FL

I just can't imagine how some folks rate this as 4 stars. The food is fine but not outstanding. Menu is a bit limited. Service is by no means professional. I constantly felt rushed. Poor service can ruin any meal.

August 23, 2006

Alan

Lighthouse Point, FL

We have been regulars at Sunfish Grill for years, and always enjoyed the consistently impeccable food and service at the old Pompano location. Now, at their new Oakland Park Blvd hotspot, they are better than ever! Same great menu and efficient service, but in a more comfortable and spacious surrounding. Count how many 4-star reviews are in this listing and you will realize how many people REALLY love this place. Go to Sunfish Grill – arguably the best restaurant in all of South FL!

August 19, 2006

anne

wilkes barre, pa

just got back from enjoying the new sunfish grill...food is still the same, if not better --served in the new spacious location ..finally we can get reservations more readily and martinis , too. it really is a full dining experience...by the way, read the lastest review by gail shepherd dated 8-17 in new times... it makes you hungry just reading it......

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Johnny V or Blue Moon Fish Co. ?

Here are the reviews for Johnny V's:

June 8, 2006

Jim L

Pembroke Pines, FL

A great place to bring friends, the food is incredible. Do not miss the cheese at the bar, and the excellent wine list.

June 7, 2006

gary g

fort lauderdale, fl

Held a business dinner for 8 at Johnny V this past Monday. The service, food, wine list, and atomosphere were all impeccable. Could not have been better! The host and servers were exceptional. Truly one of the best restaurant experiences South Florida has to offer.

April 27, 2006

Eddie Trotta

Fort Lauderdale , Fl

This is the Best Restaurant in Florida. Service,atmosphere,location, And FOOD,FOOD,FOOD. We had the Rhode Island Oysters stuffed with baby scallops "unreal" Then the Tuna Pokee,A great bottle of wine I don't remember the name I just let the somilier pick one and my wife had the Corn Crusted Snapper as an entree and I had the New York Strip 20oz. Capital grill would close if all their customers knew how a steak should taste.The desserts totally blew us away 5 stars.

February 25, 2006

Melissa

West Palm Beach, Fl

My first dining experience here would have certainly been all four ratings, however, I tried to take some of my girlfriends last weekend and didn't even get beyond the arrogant host. His rudeness and poor attitude turned me off and I will think twice before returning. There are plenty of other fabulous restaurants in the area who will treat customers appropriately so I don't need to spend my money where it is not appreciated. Johnny V's don't get too big for your britches!!

February 15, 2006

magic

weston, fl

my boyfriend & i shared a romantic meal here & it was absolutely the best food i have had in south florida. our servers were attentive, recommended good wine, & very helpful in selecting cheeses for our cheese appetizer -- awesome! the smoked tomato bisque was flavorful. both of our entrees were delicious. for dessert the chocolate peanut butter mousse cake was great & the homemade malted milkball ice cream was incredible -- like "whopper candy".. awesome restaurant. will certainly return!

January 29, 2006

Bob Russo

NYC, NY

This is the best restaurant my wife and two other couples have come accross in this great state of FLORIDA. We had a fabulous dinner last Friday night. Everything from the Smoked Tomato Soup Starter to the Desserts were world class. I take my hat off to Johnny V. Open a place in NY we need you on the upper East Side !!!

January 16, 2006

Catherine Lane

Chicago, IL

My girlfriend and I had been looking for a great place to eat and wondered upon Johnny V across the street from the Riverside Hotel where we stayed for the weekend. We loved the food and atmosphere and very friendly and knowlegeble service. Our favorite dishes were the cheese platter, oyster special and yellowtail snapper. We also enjoyed a great bottle of wine from their extensive wine list that was recomended by their somellier. We can't wait to come back!

STUART, FL
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Johnny V or Blue Moon Fish Co. ?

Luloo, is the menu at Sunfish Grill as creative and gourmet as Johny Vs, or more basic? We are looking for WOW! Thanks for the reviews.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Johnny V or Blue Moon Fish Co. ?

Here's the menu from the old location- I'm going to asume it is similar in the new spot.

http://www.sunfishgrill.com/menu.htm

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Johnny V or Blue Moon Fish Co. ?

In case you don't have Johnny V's menu:

http://www.johnnyvlasolas.com/menus.htm

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Johnny V or Blue Moon Fish Co. ?

Just came across an in depth review of the new location- doesn't look like it seats that many from the outside but they are saying 200 which makes it about the same as Johnny V's:

newtimesbpb.com/Issues/…dish2.html

8. Re: Johnny V or Blue Moon Fish Co. ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 pm, August 22, 2009