We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help FLL Hotels

Coppell, Texas
Level Contributor
501 posts
Save Topic
Need help FLL Hotels

We have to be in Boca on Mon 10/27 for a meeting. We will stay at the BR Resort on Mon night. My husband & I are thinking about coming down on Fri 10/25. Looking for a hotel option if we decide to stay in the FLL area for 3 nights. I doubt we can get everything on our wish list but here goes:

On a nice beach

Good OV room or OF room

Prefer "new" hotel or very recently updated rooms

Nice pool

We typically stay at Marriotts & I have already checked the rates at Harbor Beach Marr. Rates are over $400 per night, Would like to keep it under $300 if possible. We will have a car & are willing to drive just about anywhere & we haven't ruled out driving down to KW. I know nothing about the FLL/MIA/Keys area at all. Thanks!

Coppell, Texas
Level Contributor
501 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help FLL Hotels

I found a Marriott on Pompano Beach that says it opened in 2013. Any thoughts on this location?

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,010 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help FLL Hotels

I know little about Pompano Beach, you could ask the question on their page. There should also be some reviews of the hotel there. Typically hotel prices take a hike at the end of October due to the Boat Show which is not actually happening when you are in town but exhibitors will be in town setting up.

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help FLL Hotels

I've stayed at the Marriott in Pompano and like it a lot. It has 2 buildings that are connected. One was newly built in 2013, and the other was totally refurbished. The beach is nice and there's a couple of nice pools.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
165 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help FLL Hotels

Be sure to check the ratings for ALL the Marriott properties in the area, most have pretty poor reviews, except for the Ritz Carlton Fort Lauderdale. Most of them are franchise properties and just don't live up to the standards of an actual Marriott operated property.

The W Fort Lauderdale is showing availability starting at $301. If you sign up for their Starwood Rewards program often times you'll get upgraded at check-in, however on a weekend probably not. This is a cool hotel although it's across the street from the beach, not right on the beach.

We're staying there next month.

Edited: 6:33 am, August 25, 2014
JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help FLL Hotels

Well the Marriott harbor Beach gets 4-1/2 out of 5 stars on TA, and the W and PB Marriott both get 4. As far as hotels across the street from the Beach, Hilton Beach gets my vote.

Level Contributor
289 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help FLL Hotels

since you have a car may I suggest Beachcomber in Pompano Beach. Very reasonable rates tropical feel with friendly staff and great room, do not get european rooms due to no balcony and very small room. check out the website pictures are true settings. I stay here often and enjoy it very time. 1 more thing, sometimes you get a better rate by calling direct. Enjoy your trip.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
165 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help FLL Hotels

You're right JD3.

However, when I read reviews I don't look at the number of stars. Each of these big hotel companies employ outside companies to write bogus 4 and 5 star reviews. Usually when you see a poor review of a hotel the next several reviews are sparkling by a reviewer who only has 1-5 reviews. These are bogus make-up reviews to try to keep the star ratings up.

So, when a hotel has numerous poor reviews for soiled and worn furnishings, elevators that don't work properly, or cleanliness issues backed with photographs I generally stay away.

Unfortunately, I've worked in hospitality for some of the biggest names in the industry for over 25 years and know the " ratings game".

"Woods", that sounds like a nice spot, may have to check it out.

Edited: 4:19 am, August 26, 2014
Coppell, Texas
Level Contributor
501 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help FLL Hotels

Well I had already looked at the W. If there is a $301 rate & then you add parking & resort fees you very quickly are well over the $300 mark. Going to the keys is out because I just found out that Fantasy Fest is during that time. Yes I know you have to be very careful about reviews. In fact a lot of times I don't read them at all because it is just too much trouble to sort out the true facts. I would rather get input on the forum from folks that actually have some valuable info to share. Interestingly the PB Marr said it was new. Not that one bldg was new & the other was renov!

At this point I don't know if I will come down or not. I am starting to wonder if it would be like going to Galveston or South Padre Island here in Texas & neither of those is enticing.

Coppell, Texas
Level Contributor
501 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help FLL Hotels

Normally we try to stay at Marriott because we are Plat members so we get a few more perks. We are also Hilton members-just a lower level. I looked at the Hilton Beach & it seems like a possibility. Please tell me what you like about it. The pics look nice. Do you know if the rooms have been recently updated? Are there restaurants in walking distance? How is the beach there compared to the other local areas? From what I have been reading a lot of these hotels have not been updated in well over 5 years. I find that when you get in that 5-7 year window at a beach location the rooms really start to show wear. Thanks!

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help FLL Hotels

I've stayed in the Hilton Beach quite a few times, and it's my favorite "across the street from the beach" hotel. Last time I was there 1-1/2 yrs ago, it was not run down at all. Rooms are very nice, especially if you get a Jr suite or a 1 BR. Both have granite counter tops and stainless appliances. The studio room is nice as well, just smaller with a wet bar/microwave.

The pool area is on the 5th or 6th floor and overlooks the beach. Nice pool and hot tubs. The beach is really nice in front. Restaurants within walking distance, and their own, S3, is supposed to be really good.

I always request a high room, as close to the beachfront as possible. I've always gotten a room with a great view. From the balcony. Beware of the 6-8 floors though, as they may be too close to the pool area, which wraps around the sides of the hotel a bit with seating areas.

If you go to Marriott Pompano, just request the new building. The other building was a total redo, so it looked brand new as well.