We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extra time in Ft. Lauderdale

UTAH
3 posts
Save Topic
Extra time in Ft. Lauderdale

We have a group of about 40, that will be getting off of a cruise ship in the morning, and not flying out of the Fort Lauderdale airport until 8:30 PM. We would like to check our luggage at the airport and then find something close to do! Is there anything around the Fort Lauderdale airport that will not take a lot of money to get transported to? None of us really want to hang out at the airport all day! Thanks!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,157 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Extra time in Ft. Lauderdale

Most airlines will not accept luggage at FLL till 2-3 hrs before flight. There is a Bags to GO check kiosk in the baggage claim area that will store items for $6 per item last time I priced it. How do you plan to get from cruise ship to FLL? It seems to me you might be better off chartering bus for a group that size, storing your stuff in the bus luggage compartment and having a tour of the area with maybe a stop for lunch. It is possible some of our local tour companies could do that. Is that the sort of thing you had in mind? The bus could pehaps drop you on Las Olas Blvd with your items left on the bus and you could window shop and lunch.

On Saturdays and Sundays only you can go to FLL by whatever private transport you can arrange a, drop bags at Bags to Go and ride a Sun Trolley shuttle to the Riverfront area of FT.Lauderdale from which you can walk to various places or take other Sun Trolleys to get around. I will find the information and post it- but I do not believe all 40 of you could be accommodated on one Sun Trolley- they are small- so you might not be able to stay together. The trolley runs on a set schedule which you will see in the information I'll post- You might contact Sun Trolley to see if they can arrange a private trolley for your group, how many they could transport and what it would cost.

It's often a complicated problem with no easy solution based on experiences of other cruisers with late flights in the past. Finding something cost effective to do about storing luggage is usually the hardest part.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,157 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Extra time in Ft. Lauderdale

This would be available only on the set days and times listed and getting to FLL to use it would be a separate arrangement.

https:/…Suntrolleyupdatedbrochure03052013.pdf

You might use the contact link to see if they have a suggestion for making it workable or customized for your group- I'd also be tempted to contact Grey Line Tours and see if you could book a tour bus with a tour of the area and a lunch stop-

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,157 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Extra time in Ft. Lauderdale

Some cruise lines provide service where they take your baggage to FLL for you- but not all of them- and of course it can be marked up to a pretty high price like most cruise line services. What line will you be on?

For most people what to do with their stuff is the big problem for post cruise activities.

4. Re: Extra time in Ft. Lauderdale

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, May 02, 2015