We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red Dog Cantina

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
7,930 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Red Dog Cantina

Closed down last night, so one less drinking and dining choice at the northern end of the beach.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Red Dog Cantina

Oh well.. I guess it really is the "Dead Dog" Cantina after all- some of us were calling that Godforsaken place that from the beginning- it never seemed well run or customer friendly- wish we had it's predecessor, Café Bluefish back... but I wonder who would ever take a chance on that place now...they closed it all in and really destroyed it's character IMO.

Sue, can you look if you are back in that area and tell us what if anything is open for dining at Ft. Lauderdale Beach Resort? I know some folks want to know and I keep forgetting to turn down that street and look.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
7,930 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Red Dog Cantina

We are considering having dinner at the Cantina on Sunrise tonight so if we do I'll detour into Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort and see what if anything is happening with the restaurant.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
207 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Red Dog Cantina

I can report first hand, that the restaurant has closed and has been closed for a while. A new person was going to open it again but something happened and it remains closed.

There is not enough business to support a restaurant as most people in the building cook their own meals.

Too bad Sue I missed your visit by a few days. We had already gone home when you arrived.

Ben

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Red Dog Cantina

Thanks for the update! I'm sorry you missed Sue as well! Too bad there won't be a restaurant there , but for some reason they never have been able to market a place to non building residents successfully . I guess we'll have to depend on North Beach Village for new dining choices nearby - I understand they have something major coming ..

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
7,930 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Red Dog Cantina

We walked up to the Beach Resort at around 8pm and even the bar was closed, the whole area was in darkness. The Mexican Cantina was very busy, the manager told us it had been 5 deep at the bar during happy hour. They didn't have many staff and were obvious overwhelmed by it all. There were a lot of kids in there ditto for MCSorleys later, I guess Spring Break is starting.

Mercer,Wi
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Red Dog Cantina

that didn't last long. Didn't they just re-open short time ago. we drove by there last month and it seemed like a lot of alcohol fueled people out in front blocking the street.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Red Dog Cantina

August of 2013 was when the Red Dog's predecessor Café Bluefish closed. At that time a local columnist of restaurant news knew that Red Dog was coming next and predicted it would not last because the people involved had previously operated a very badly run and short lived restaurant in another location. Sounds like they didn't learn much from that earlier failure. The restaurant business here is very tough even for those who know the ropes.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
7,930 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Red Dog Cantina

Just over a year I think.

Edited: 11:26 am, March 09, 2014
9. Re: Red Dog Cantina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, March 11, 2015