We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fll & hotl advise please

Lancashire England
Level Contributor
523 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Fll & hotl advise please

Hi

Thinking of Fort Lauderdale in June for aprox 10 nights after a few days in New York. We have been to Miami several times and love it but need a change. I have seen the Alhambra beach resort hotel which sounds like our kind of place, but not sure how it's location would be for us, we like walking, shopping eating and drinking, would it be a good area for easy access on foot to bars and restaurants with people watching and very cold beers. We are in our 40's not into clubs particularly

Just more bar scene people. We tend to stay in south beach in Miami and wander round Lincoln rd espanol way areas if that's any help. Many thanks for any info

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
495 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fll & hotl advise please

Courtyard by Marriott has an excellent location for what you described as your likes.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,643 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fll & hotl advise please

I imagine it'll be super hot and humid in FL in June. You really want to do 10 days?

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,879 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fll & hotl advise please

It will be hot and humid in June, but it won't be as bad as an inland city because of the ocean breeze. There's so much to do...be sure to get an all-day pass on the water taxi...unlimited on-off privileges.

For lots more info, check out sunny.org and you'll wish you had more than 10 days to stay!!!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fll & hotl advise please

The Alhambra is in a very good location, in answer to your original question. It is quite close to restaruants and local bars, though, of course, not near Las Olas, but the beach is a decent distance from there anyway. The Courtyard is also in a terrific location... though it will be up to you if you want a traditional, modern, somewhat impersonal hotel vs. a small boutique style hotel with some character. It is a lovely place.

Lancashire England
Level Contributor
523 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fll & hotl advise please

hi

thanks for the replies. so it sounds lik the hotel is in a good location for us although i must admit i can not understand the geography of the place but as long as we can get out find some bars and people watch we'l be fine. Would we be able to get to Las Olas easily on buses or walking? and also any idea of cost of

a taxi from the airport to the Alahambra or is there an airport shuttle bus available.

Many Thanks

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,668 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fll & hotl advise please

The restaurant /shops part of Las Olas is actually the slightly more western end, not the end near the beach , which mostly private residences. It might be a bit far too walk that far west( I'm thinking it's about 2 miles ) . During daytime hours you can walk over to Beach Place right near the Alhambra and catch a little red and yellow Sun Trolley ( they run till about 6 if I recall) . One line goes across Las Olas Blvd and the other goes south along the beach to 17th St. The #11BCT bus runs till late at night, south along the beach and then across Las Olas ( can't recall exactly where the stop is near you, but the staff at Alhambra will know. Those are two more reasonable alternatives to a taxi. You might also want to get an all day pass for Water Taxi ( $200 as it is a slow but scenic way to get around and also leaves from near Beach Place Again the Alhambra staff should have route maps to share.

I'm going to guess a taxi from FLL Airport is $20-25 shared by all passengers in it . There is also a Go Van shared ride shuttle , which charges per passenger. If there is more than one of you, it may be almost as cheap to share a taxi. Foe one Go Van will be cheaper if you are willing to wait while it picks up or drops off others en route - sometimes that makes it a long ride, sometimes not, but that is how shared rides work. The Go Van and the taxi cab starter should be right near each other outside the baggage claim doors- so it will be easy enough to get a price quote form both on arrival and then decide.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,092 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fll & hotl advise please

If you use google earth the geography of Fort Lauderdale Beach is easy. Find the Alhambra, right in front of it facing the beach us Casablanca Cafe for upscale dining. Head south along the A1a and you'll find a plethora of bars and restaurants, some are tourists traps, the minority aren't. Head north and you'll find the Deck at the Sea Club, then not a lot until you hit McSorley's and right in front of you is a clutch of casual bars and eateries.

Kent
Level Contributor
6,437 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fll & hotl advise please

scoobz, any suggestons for miami, going for 2 nights in sept and like same sort of things but looking for cheaper hotel as a base. also need hotel just for arrival night in FL, any help? thanks

Lancashire England
Level Contributor
523 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fll & hotl advise please

Thanks everybody. Is the courtyard marriott in the same area? we are getting a much better price on the

marriott, and it seems to have pretty good reviews?

isabella re: miami we stay at The Dorchester 1850 Collins Ave, check out my reviews on it or send me a

message and il give you more info. we have stayed 3 times since 2009 and love its location

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,668 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fll & hotl advise please

There is more than one Courtyard in town. The only one on/near the beach is at 440 Seabreeze.. is that the address of the one you are considering? It would be highly unusual for that Courtyard on the Beach to be less expensive than the Alhambra, so I would want to be sure you are not looking at one of the ones off the beach area , which most likely would be less expensive. None of the other Courtyards would be well located for anyone wanting to do typical tourist activities and the others would all definitely require a car.