We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Keys

waukesha,wi
Level Contributor
462 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Keys

What are some companies you would recommend to book a full day drive and visit to Key West from South Beach area? We don't want to do the drive ourselves but want 5 or 6 hours to spend in Key West before heading back.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,991 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Keys

Do you mean you want a trip that leaves from South Beach ( in Miami) or one that leaves from the south end of our beach here in Ft Lauderdale?

If you mean South Beach Miami, I think you need to post in the Miami Beach Forum, not here.

There may be a bus tour to Key West from Ft.Lauderdale- but I don't think there is lots of demand for them- I'll check and see if Gray Line or a few other companies have one. Quite honestly, I would never go all the way to Key West and back in one day just for few hours there- it will be a long day to see very little for the short time you can stay- but if I find a bus trip, I guess you can look at the itinerary and decide. To me. Key West deserves at least an overnight stay, as the sunsets and night life are parts of the experience you shouldn't miss.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,991 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Keys

This company offers a one day trip that leaves from the Embassy Suites Hotel here in Ft. Lauderdale - on 17th ST near the Port) . The same firm also offers one from Miami ( perhaps the same bus stopping to combine passengers). It leaves Embassy at 5:30 am and returns there at 10:30- which probably means leaving Key West by 6 pm latest. I do not know anything about the quality of the company or the trip

keywestbustour.com/1-day-from-fort-lauderdal…

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,991 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Keys

This may be the same trip offered under a different name- it does say it is 16 hr day total and that the bus will stop at several hotels in Miami to pick up additional passengers enroute. It seems to indicate you arrive in Key West at at noon and leave at 6 pm .

grayline.com/things-to-do/…

I just don't hear of many people doing this , so I am not surprised that one bus combines passengers from the two cities.

waukesha,wi
Level Contributor
462 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Keys

Dang...I indeed should have posted this question on the Miami Beach/South Beach forum. We will be staying in South Beach for 5 days and want one of the days as a day trip to Key West. So yes, something originating fromMiami Beach/South Beach is what are looking for. Sorry for the confusion.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,991 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Keys

Well it looks like Grayline picks up in Miami en route and I suspect the other one does too- I doubt they would fill the bus if they didn't- so you might use those two sites anyway and see what they can tell you about Miami - Key West- at least you won't have to sit on a bus picking up at quite so many hotels like the unfortunate folks who board the bus up here..

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Keys

You are going to spend more time on the road then you are in Key West. You are talking about 7 hours in a bus round trip vs. only 5 hours exploring Key West? Even if you had 48 hrs, you could not see everything there is to see there. If you could somehow swing spending one night there and leaving the next day, that would be HIGHLY recommended.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,991 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Keys

Again I can't vouch for quality at all- but this "deal" may save you some money- leaves from Bayside which is near Miami cruiseport, but does pick up at some hotels

…dealsaver.com/engine/SplashDetails.aspx…

For locals- closest hotel pick ups to us are in Hollywood.

Washington
Level Contributor
534 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Keys

I would not take a day trip to Key West (having been there many, many times). Most of the time will be spent on the road and you will not get to enjoy what is really Key West. Save this for another trip - when can take a leisurely drive down and then spend a few days in Key West.

Ft Lauderdale
Level Contributor
239 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Keys

tours 2 you.

10. Re: Day trip to Keys

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 06, 2014