We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we or shouldn't we

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oklahoma
Level Contributor
148 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Should we or shouldn't we

Hi all...

A group of 5 friends including myself will be staying in Lauderdale by the Sea next week for 4 nights. We're staying at Villa Seaward and will not have a car, which is the reason we chose that area with so many options within walking distance. Should we make the short trip into Ft. Lauderdale one day or evening and if so, what's on the to do list? Thank you in advance!

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we or shouldn't we

Sure! (however, you did not give us an "age group")

Go to 101 Ocean and Aruba in LBTS --- they have good happy hours, especially 101 Ocean.

But for a nice late afternoon and evening, go to Shooters, right on the Intracoastal waterway in Fort Lauderdale (it is just south of Oakland Park Blvd., so it is close to LBTS ---- really close).

Ft. Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
386 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we or shouldn't we

Shooters is in re-development and will be open again in 3 months.

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we or shouldn't we

Also be aware that Lauderdale by the sea is under construction as well, and was just a mess when we were there a couple weeks ago. The project isn't planned to be finished until December.

You could take a cruise on the Intracoastal on the Carrie B or Riverfront Cruises, or just hop on/off the water taxi at the different stops.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,987 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we or shouldn't we

Do you mean the beautification project on Commercial Blvd JD or is something additional going on?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,987 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we or shouldn't we

You could still take the #11 city bus south ( catch it just south of Commercial Blvd on A1A near Walgreens ) and get off at Oakland Park Blvd and get the Water Taxi at Flip Flops which is right next door to the temporaily closed Shooters. There is a current offer on Travelzoo for two all day Water Taxi passes for $19- a 2/1 offer. It would probably be fun to do a hop on and off day on Water Taxi at that bargain price ( we are doing an all day WT ourselves) . The crew can guide you to good places to dine or drink on the waterway. and you could also get off at Las Olas Blvd for a stroll. Fun to cruise by all the mega mansions with mega yachts moored next to them

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,987 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we or shouldn't we

For that Water Taxi bargain

travelzoo.com/local-deals/…68935

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we or shouldn't we

We're all recently 40 and are visiting to celebrate. I've researched for months; on the forums, reviews, the city web page and no where did u read about it bring a disaster. Oh No! What does that mean?

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we or shouldn't we

Thank you to all who answered and suggested activities. It's much appreciated. Would appreciate any more info on the construction and if it's going to make trip difficult. Thank you!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,987 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should we or shouldn't we

If that is what JD is referring to it is just on either side of Commercial Blvd - between the Intracoastal Bridge and A1A and based on where I think your lodging is I ( I am not familiar with it and just guessing) I can't imagine it will be a problem. They are adding landscaping on both sides of the roadway and so t slows down traffic a bit, as they have some barricades up and partial lane blockages here and there but I don't think it's that bad. maybe there is something else additional going on up there l that I did not see when I went across Commercial Blvd yesterday- hopefully JD will let us know. I know she dined on the Pier at he end of Commercial on her recent trip. Do you know what street your accommodation is on?

Since you won't have car, you can really sit back and let your shuttle/taxi driver figure it out I'm thinking. Let's see if JD knows of more stuff happening I didn't see.

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should we or shouldn't we

Lulu, yes, i think it is the beautification project.The day we went there, Commercial, between A1A and the beach was totally blocked off to traffic, and walking around to the different stores (and my favorite Kilwins icecream) was difficult. They only were allowing pedestrians to cross in limited areas- i can imagine the businesses werent too happy.Parking was limited at the time, and trucks were everywhere. Very noisy too. Maybe the worst will be over by the time the OP arrives.Sounds like it might be if you were just there. I read in the paper that it would be done in December..