We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving Dinner - 3030 Ocean vs. Ritz-Carlton?

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
717 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Thanksgiving Dinner - 3030 Ocean vs. Ritz-Carlton?

Hello all! :) I am planning a Thanksgiving Week trip to Ft. Lauderdale and environs and am already thinking about a good place to go for dinner on Thanksgiving Day. It will just be my boyfriend and me (30s) and we'd like something very "special" and elegant/upscale. Price is not a factor (not that we want to overpay, just that our focus is on having a great and special experience). Has anyone eaten at 3030 Ocean or the Ritz-Carlton's restaurant on Thanksgiving? Any opinions on atmosphere (screaming kids? Nice views?), food quality, etc.? We'd be open to other suggestions too, following the criteria above (including outside of FLL itself - e.g., restaurant at The Breakers or other Palm Beach locations, Miami Beach, etc.).

Many, many thanks for any ideas! :) I really appreciate it!

Florida
Level Contributor
190 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanksgiving Dinner - 3030 Ocean vs. Ritz-Carlton?

I've enjoyed dinner at the Ritz a few times. I found the food to be quite good and the atmosphere was comfortable. 3030 is known for having an excellent chef (one of the best in the area). I wanted to try it, made a reservation and drove to the hotel. I was turned-off by the atmosphere of the restaurant. It is in a hotel lobby, rather corporate and bland to me. And there were groups of business people dining there....which reminded me of my business trips...and made me think of work :-). So I cancelled the reservation. My favorites for fine dining are Grill66 (which I went to instead of 3030), Johnny V, and Casa D'Angelo. I feel all are excellent though Johnny V might get a younger crowd.

Florida
Destination Expert
for Palm Harbor
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanksgiving Dinner - 3030 Ocean vs. Ritz-Carlton?

3030 Ocean is excellent. Billbr is correct - it is on the bottom floor and completely open. I actually like the look as its very modern.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
717 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanksgiving Dinner - 3030 Ocean vs. Ritz-Carlton?

Thank you both for this info! :)

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,876 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanksgiving Dinner - 3030 Ocean vs. Ritz-Carlton?

The renowned Executive Chef of many years at 3030 has just announced he will be leaving, which may result in lots of changes at 3030 by next Thanksgiving. I believe the owners of the Marriott implied that changes would occur in making the announcement- I'll see if can find/ link to it.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,876 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thanksgiving Dinner - 3030 Ocean vs. Ritz-Carlton?

Yes, plan is to "renovate and rebrand "3030, but vague as to the date ( mid year would mean what.. Dean leaves in August )

southflorida.com/restaurants-and-bars/dining…

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
717 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thanksgiving Dinner - 3030 Ocean vs. Ritz-Carlton?

Thanks all for the info! :)

Florida
Destination Expert
for Palm Harbor
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thanksgiving Dinner - 3030 Ocean vs. Ritz-Carlton?

Wow. Dean Max is an excellent chef and makes that restaurant. I regretfully say to wait if you can as suggested to see what happens when he goes. Looking forward to his new place though.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,876 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thanksgiving Dinner - 3030 Ocean vs. Ritz-Carlton?

Good news I just heard- Paula Da Silva , who was Chef Dean's highly regarded assistant for years ( she left to run a restaurant in Miami) will be returning to the 3030 Ocean as Executive Chef!! Some people may recall her name as I think she was a finalist on Chef Gordon Ramsey's televised cooking competition ( which I never watched). I know she has many fans here

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,876 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thanksgiving Dinner - 3030 Ocean vs. Ritz-Carlton?

1500degreesmiami.com/miami-beach-restaurants…

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,816 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thanksgiving Dinner - 3030 Ocean vs. Ritz-Carlton?

Excited to say that Paula Da Silva is the new Executive Chef at 3030 Ocean. While Dean Max is no longer there, the excellent food will continune under Paula's tutelage! Lulu, you are correct - Paula was the runner-up on "Hell's Kitchen" a few years ago and she is just an amazing Chef! I remember watching the show and feeling personally involved since I had met Paula on a trip to 3030 Ocean!

I'm not opposed to the location of 3030 Ocean within Harbor Beach - the service is as excellent as the food!!