We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water taxi and sun trolley. Also Miami or SoBe for day trip?

Hartford...
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Water taxi and sun trolley. Also Miami or SoBe for day trip?

Hi, we are staying at the Hilton beach hotel and will not have a car. I was wondering how easy it is to get around a little by using the sun trolley and how far is it to catch the water taxi? We would like to get to the Galleria mall. Also would there be a bus that would take us to Miami or South Beach for a day trip ? Thank you for any info !

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,668 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water taxi and sun trolley. Also Miami or SoBe for day trip?

I'm going to guesstimate that it is about half a mile south of you from the Hilton to the Water Taxi stop behind Beach Place. There used to be a stop at Seville ST which would be a bit closer, but it is no longer listed as a stop.. Someone seemed to think it is still a "whistle stop" - meaning you could call ahead and they would pull up there for you, but I don't know if that is true. I'd suggest you consult the concierge at the Hilton , as he/she should certainly know. The Water Taxi does go to the Gallery One Doubletree Hotel stop heading north and that is just a block from Galleria and is where you will go to get your return Water Taxi.

I'm having a hard time finding an accurate map of the Sun Trolley's revised route up and down the beach - asthe maps I am finding on line are outdated. But last I knew it had added a Galleria Stop. It is a stop on demand trolley, but I am not certain where the best place near the Hilton would be for you to wave to it to pick it up. Again, the concierge should know. meanwhile, I'll see if I can find and updated and readable map to the Sun Trolley routes- two of them pass by my condo daily an I keep meaning to hop on and ask if they have a good map- so If I get a chance I'll do that. BCT transit bus #40 passes near the Hilton and comes north right to the Galleria parking garage if I recall- the concierge can help you with the stop which I think is around the corner from your hotel on Bayshore Dr.

Can't help you with transport to Miami/South Beach. I think that question has been tackled here several times and none of the convoluted routings with several transfers seem worth the effort.( one would involve 2 bus transfers up here to eventually get down to Aventura Mall in North MIami nd then god knows what in the way of transfers after that to make the rest of the trip.) I think renting car would be the only convenient plan. If anyone else has a better thought, I'm all ears.

The Water Taxi used to make the trip once a week and it took forever and only gave folks a couple of hours actually in Miami- it was stopped for lack of interest and doesn't seem likely it will be resumed.

Edited: 8:18 pm, July 02, 2013
Florida
Destination Expert
for Palm Harbor
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water taxi and sun trolley. Also Miami or SoBe for day trip?

I concur with Lulu on getting to South Beachi on the bus. It is doable with lots of transfers and time wasted. Best to rent a car for a day so you'll have time to enjoy it.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,092 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water taxi and sun trolley. Also Miami or SoBe for day trip?

I contacted the water taxi people after Seville Street was made a whistle stop and they told me that you can either call ahead or just flag the boat down at all whistle stops and also at designated places along the route. Holiday Isle where we stayed is one of the designated places according to the information book in the apartment, I'm just using that as an example it would be no use to the OP.

4. Re: Water taxi and sun trolley. Also Miami or SoBe for day trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, July 05, 2014