We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help needed: Indoor Activities

US of A
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Help needed: Indoor Activities

Evening All,

A beach getaway is planned for this weekend, however; the weather didn't get my memo. Does anyone have any good indoor suggestions for the Ft. Lauderdale area? Hopefully it won't rain all day and some beach reading can get done. Any thoughts (cultural, artistic, entertainment, music, cool museums, etc) from the DEs? Frequent Visitors? Folks who have been before and have a golden nugget of info?

Thanks all

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,990 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help needed: Indoor Activities

The Museum of Art at the northwest corner of Las Olas Blvd and Andrews Ave is a nice spot- also has a little café . MODS ( Museum of Discovery and Science) a few blocks west of that has an IMAX theater and both permanent and travelling exhibits.

What are the age and sex of the people who need entertainment? I personally don't expect lots of rain this weekend- there may be some but a washout is not in the forecast at this point- 30-40% chance ( 20-30% is normal here all summer) is what I'm seeing. Always good to have plan B handy though.

US of A
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help needed: Indoor Activities

Thanks Lulu!

We are in our early 30s travelling without children so adult-oriented places is preferable. Imax sounds like a good option if it is a total washout. Any active places like a sporting complex where you can maybe rock climb or something of the like?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,990 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help needed: Indoor Activities

A few places come to mind

http://www.funderdome.net/experiences This is a new facility with a rock climbing wall and a ropes course among other features- but I have never been there. They have an area for toddlers but other activities seem suitable for older kids

and www.boomerparks.com/site/dania

Is in Dania Beach just south of the airport- some of their stuff is outdoors, but they do have an indoor building - I just don't recall what is inside and what is outside. You will see a large roller coaster as you approach- which sadly is no longer in operation- it was the only one in this area.

There are a couple of other indoor karting tracks which I'll see if I can find... I think the whirly ball attraction I used to take my school groups to is no longer open, but I'll check.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,990 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help needed: Indoor Activities

Indoor Karting at

www.k1speed.com

www.xtremeindoorkarting.com

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,990 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help needed: Indoor Activities

Xtreme Karting has an indoor mini golf course too- only one I know of locally

US of A
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help needed: Indoor Activities

Thanks!

I will throw out the ideas to the group. Good to know that there are options. Definitely not our 1st choice of activities but hopefully they are our last resort. It has already been decided to do a "redemption weekend." :-)

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,990 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help needed: Indoor Activities

You could go design a mug or some other ceramic piece as a souvenir of your visit.

http://www.joepicassos.com/

I think they let you bring wine and snacks- I've done it and our gang had fun but they were located down on Las Olas Blvd. at that time.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,349 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help needed: Indoor Activities

I would not worry about a washout for this weekend. Weather doesn't look bad at all. Maybe a quick thunderstorm, but nothing more then that in the forecast.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,990 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help needed: Indoor Activities

While I was reading the last [post we had a 5 min. rain shower here on Ft. Lauderdale Beach. It has stopped now and the skies are blue again.

Florida/Tropical weather is different from what many are used to in other areas- often a shower will move in and move out again very quickly- all day rain is unusual here- except that we had it while our UK DE Sue was visiting us - for several days. very unusual for us- and something we had better not do again!!

10. Re: Help needed: Indoor Activities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 29, 2014