We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation in late August??

so cal
2 posts
Save Topic
Vacation in late August??

Hello All, I'm planning a vacation to Ft Lauderdale Aug 20-27. With wife

and 4 teenaagers over 16. Is this wise? are the beaches usable that time of year. Is this a bad idea? We're looking at the Marriots BeachPlace Towers. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Batch

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
134 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation in late August??

I would suppose you would be OK if you could dodge the hurricanes. The locals would have more info on that for you.

I can give you some input on the hotel. The wife and I just got back from a stay at the Mariott Harbor Beach Resort and I can say that it was quite excellent. Of course they do nickel and dime you to death and the hotel is quite expensive, but they are directly on a private beach that was spectacular and never crowded. So long as you have a rental car to take advantage of the great eats around town you should be ok. The Mariott Beach Place if I am not mistaken is about a mile up the beach from the Harbor Beach Resort and it is actually across the road from a public beach that will be quite a bit more crowded and is not as deep of a beach (as far as how much sand is there, not water depth) as what is in front of the Harbor Beach Resort. Basically if you want a Resort style trip go the the Harbor but if you don't mind being across the street from a public beach you would probably be ok with the Beach Place.

Level Contributor
2,130 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation in late August??

Driving? Bring chairs and espically unbrellas if you plan on sitting on the beach. If you have a car, Wal Mart, Target, or K Mart has 6.5 ft umbrellas for just over $11.00 (cheaper ones). BRING BEACH SHOES....not due to shells, as sand is great...but sand will be super hot to walk on. Hats also help, as does loose fitting beach shirts.

It really will be hot in the afternoons. And the sun will be very strong.

Have drinking water in the trunk.

Marriott Beach Place is a super 5 star TIME SHARE. You will not be allowed to check into a one bedroom or studio, as the units only hold 4 in each section. But a two bedroom allows eight. If this is a trade or rental from an owner, THERE WILL BE NO FREE SERVICES....ie, maid service will be charged, if you require it. Since it is the slower season, you should be able to find a 7 day stay rather reasonable.

MBP is the only timeshare in the area (except for the Ramada Hollywood Beach Resort) that charges guests for parking ($12.00 a day). Unless you are using one week as an owner, you will need to pay the fee.

The www.watertaxi.com has a stop on the intracoastal side of MBP, in the Las Olas publc Yacht Club area.

The units in MBP are all identical....except for views. They are two bed two bath lock outs, with two balconies (lanais) for each unit. Full kitchens with granite in the upgrade, W/D in unit (bring detergent & bleach) D/W, Disposer, 2 refrideerators....2 microwaves, three tvs. and all windows OPEN.

The unit can be completely locked out to be separate from each other. On Monday, AM there is a meeting for owners and guests. They present info, and coupons that might help you save some $$$. Once the lady from the White/Black (???) ladies shop gave all the guests a $50.00 coupon for all who attended.....(like you might get 5 coupons)....but the clothes in the shop (in the lower complex) was kind of expensive.

There are also at least 5 dining places. most IMO ok to good (except I really like Sloppy Joes of Key West). There are two jazz clubs that might make you need to keep the dalcony doors closed in the PM...(you will anyway...it doesn't cool off that much n the evening.

Search the internet for coupons in these places ...Sloppy Joes of Key West (Ft Laud branch), Howl at the Moon Jazz & piano duels, Sally O'Brians Tavern (just OK), Lulus Bait Shop (no, not our Lulu),

Cheeburger Cheeburger of Beach Place, and Maxs Grille.

(Note on Maxs Grille.....very VARIABLE place.... This is a chain, in Orlando, LAs Vegas, and other parts of Florida. They have a lunch special that is $3.99, and is (sometimes) excellent....but sometimes just OK..

Not in Beach Place, but very popular is the SAGE, which also has internet coupons, and is liked by many www.sagecafe.net

Two blocks N on A1A (just past the St Regis and the Silver Seas) is the Cafe Casablanca.....they should have their lunch special back in summer...one free with one....USUALLY very good, although the last time, my wife said she was not happy with her grilled chicken salad.......looked like one oz of chicken breast over 3 cups of chopped cabbage and peppers.

I think you will be happy at Marriott Beach Place. It is ket very nice (except when reviewed by owners of different timeshares), but does have elevator problems, and sure could use a bigger pool.

Also, some great views are blocked now by the new hotels on both sides. Check Marriott BBS on the www.tug2.net site for details.

Also, check the latest review of the Silver Seas (right next to the MBP)....it is much older, but price might be much less, as well...if you need a 1 or 2 bedroom unit.

I also have recieved e mail specials at www.lagomar.com for $129.00 a nite.....some of the units in this hotel are one bedrooms with full kitchens

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Cheeburger Cheeburger
Cheeburger Cheeburger
1 Review
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Florida
Florida
United States
Casablanca Cafe
Casablanca Cafe
4,299 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
2,130 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation in late August??

This is a cam view between the floors where Sloppy Joes and Maxs Grille are:

http://www.sunny.org/webcam/camapp.cfm

Note to Lulu.....my computer will not open the Sage website....(I know there is a one free with one on it.....is the sites address changed?

BTW....also, coupons on many Ft LAud restaurants....look here:

www.crabhouse.com (lunch is a lot less than dinner)

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,599 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation in late August??

Ken- it just opened right up for me- are you doing www.sagecafe.net- that is the correct address , not .com- I used to put it in wrong- maybe I gave it to you wrong! Sorry if I did. Haven't seen a Mulligans coupon in a while- did get one recently for the Cafe Bluefish for free beer with dinner, but I tend to be a lunchgoer most of the time. Hope Sage works for you I love that place!

Mentioned in this post
Cafe Bluefish
Cafe Bluefish
65 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
5. Re: Vacation in late August??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, August 16, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Fort Lauderdale