We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants and Car Rental Close to Pelican Grand ??

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Topic
Restaurants and Car Rental Close to Pelican Grand ??

Hi All, Need some help with our stay next week in Fort Lauderdale, we're staying at the Pelican Grand and interested in some recommendation on some mid to upper end dining options, preferrably on the beach and close by with a short walk or taxi ride from Pelican Grand? Also any suggestions for breakfast options besides what's at the resort?

Also, need to get a car for about two days, are there any car rental agencies close enough to walk to or that will bring the car to the resort?

Cheers !

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,172 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants and Car Rental Close to Pelican Grand ??

For breakfast you just can't beat the little restaurant at the tiny Sun Tower Motel right next door to Pelican. It's oceanfront, very reasonable and very friendly. I have met other TA posters for their Happy Hour there as well- and so all the food is excellent and they serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. Much better than Pelican for price, quality and service..

Unfortunately there are no other walkable places from Pelican- it's isolated location stuck between many condos and rental apartments is minus to many, but you can hop on the #11 bus that passes right by and either go up to the restaurant choices around and just north of Oakland Park Blvd or take that same bus south along the beach where you'll find many restaurant on or south of Sunrise Blvd all the way down to Las Olas where the bus will turn and go west to Las Olas's own restaurant row.

Pelican has recently installed new chef but it's restaurant is still considered by many typical hotel food and overpriced for it's quality.

The little red and yellow Sun Trolley also runs by your hotel I think- and it is a "stop on demand" service that you wave to. It only runs till late afternoon- no evening service , but it is either free or 50 cents a ride depending on which trolley and it will also go north to the area of Oakland Park Blvd or south as well- there is a transfer point at Galleria Mall where there are also some restaurants and another trolley from that point could take you further south. I can't think of any car rental near Pelican- there may be a desk in the lobby for some brand, but I am not aware of one. Enterprise has a service that picks you up on request.

Edited: 10:26 am, May 13, 2013
Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
121 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants and Car Rental Close to Pelican Grand ??

A short taxi ride south would take you to the Galleria Mall where there are some decent restaurants (chains, however) as Lulutoo noted. Heading north to Oakland Park Blvd. you will find a relatively new Greek restaurant in a very modern, sleek setting (but loud) next to the gas station on the corner (hey, it is Florida!), Martorano's (24 on Zagat) for Italian. and the restaurant in the Lugano Hotel.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,172 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants and Car Rental Close to Pelican Grand ??

I like the other older Greek place ( Greek Isles Taverna ) up that way so much better than the newer glitzy place- have never been to the restaurant at Il Lugano even though I live right down the street- somehow most hotel dining rooms don't do much to excite me-and I see that celebrity chef Todd English has severed his connection there. We like the more down to earth Italian food at Nick's at A1A and 34th St - and the bus stops nearby. And the TA Destination Experts gather when they can at Fishtales, a bar in that area that has the most amazing filet mignon sliders and very good food choices that are much better than the décor there might suggest . Also Blue Jean Blues is a jazz bar in that area with light food service ( pizza and small plates) that has a good happy hour and live jazz most of the time.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,213 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants and Car Rental Close to Pelican Grand ??

I would second Fishtales the filet mignon sliders are delicious. Last time we went OH had the steak bomb and really enjoyed that too. However it might not be what you are looking for it's a typical bar with better than average bar fayre. It's one of my favourites.

http://www.fishtaleson33rd.com/

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants and Car Rental Close to Pelican Grand ??

Thanks for the information. Any other specific restaurants on Las Olas stick out as exceptional? I saw Mango's on the web and it appeared to be something we would like. Also, what's your favorite beach bar ? Shooters and Bootleggers looked like something where my Caribbean soul could get out of control ! LOL.

Any others that would have a nice place to catch a sunset ?

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
121 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants and Car Rental Close to Pelican Grand ??

Mangos is a cash cow, but I wouldn't consider it mid to upper end dining. Johnny V is arguably the best of the lot, and can be actually cheap at lunch. We like Timpano and Grille 401.

Waiting for the new Chinese in the old Jackson's; heard a rumor that Solita will soon be closing.

Sunset bars are on the West coast :-)

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants and Car Rental Close to Pelican Grand ??

""Also, need to get a car for about two days, are there any car rental agencies close enough to walk to or that will bring the car to the resort?""

There is an Enterprise on Sunrise, not all that far from the Galleria Mall, I believe they will deliver a car to you. However, they are not open on Sunday, and have limited hours on Saturdays if that is when you are going to be there.

Pick Up Location 1311 EAST SUNRISE BLVD

FORT LAUDERDALE, FL 33304-2899

Tel.: (954) 764-3144

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants and Car Rental Close to Pelican Grand ??

Thanks for the info

9. Re: Restaurants and Car Rental Close to Pelican Grand ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, May 18, 2014