We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New developments on Sunrise Blvd???

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,238 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
New developments on Sunrise Blvd???

I was going a bit fast eastbound and noticed two things to ask if others know about... there is now a CVS Drugs Coming sign up on the old Borders Bookstore at the west end of Galleria Mall- not open yet, but I assume a replacement ( more room and probably a drive though for prescriptions) for the smaller old one across from Gallery One Doubletree- but that will surely be a longer walk for most tourists-and it seems when I passed by Tejas de Brazil that it was fenced off like they were ( either ) remodeling or closed- were my eyes playing tricks or has something happened there? It's only been open a short while so remodel would seem strange...

I promise if no one knows I will go lots slower next trip and give a definite report...

Norway
Level Contributor
494 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: New developments on Sunrise Blvd???

Hi Luluutoo!

Thank you for keeping us informed on whats going on in Ft. L. We have many times been to the old CVS., bought toothpaste, deodorants, make up, etc. etc. to bring back home to Norway, we love all that American stuff! But we will be visiting the new store too, even if its a bit further to walk. We use to love that Borders too! Oh well, will see if its a brand new CVS!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,928 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New developments on Sunrise Blvd???

Ok I couldn't take the suspense and called Texas de Brasil, they are open and doing well. Had no idea of closing or what you may have seen...I do love that place.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,238 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New developments on Sunrise Blvd???

I saw they are still listed on the T de B website- I swear there was some sort of temp fencing around the front parking area, but Friday I will go by slooooowly and see what I was looking at- maybe it was in front of the storefront next door to it....

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
208 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New developments on Sunrise Blvd???

Lulutoo when we were down in March there was some type of fence around the front parking area.

I said to myself, where do the people who work in the office tower park, they had it all blocked off.

Ben

Florida
Destination Expert
for Palm Harbor
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New developments on Sunrise Blvd???

I saw the sign for CVS a couple of months ago and was also baffled. I'm sure they could support the two on both sides of the road. But that's a huge lot for a CVS and wondered what else they would squeeze on that lot, if anything.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,238 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New developments on Sunrise Blvd???

Borders was a two story bookstore with quite a large amount of floor space, so I'm wondering if the CVS is taking the whole building or just one floor... I seriously doubt the smaller CVS closer to the Intracoastal would remain open.. all these drugstores in town like to have drive up pharmacy windows and there is no way to put one in that little CVS as far as I can see. The one on Bayview and Oakland Park and the Walgreens on A1A and Oakland Park also have no drive up- I keep wondering if they are going to be relocated before too long. The drugstore business here is super competitive especially regarding pharmacies with our large senior/medicare population.

Thanks too for the post about the fence- that was what gave me the impression T de B was closed- it certainly was not an inviting look- if I were considering it for dinner I might be confused as I approached it- in fact, obviously I WAS confused by it- it looked at quick glance like an obstacle to entering the restaurant. If I recall when I met poster JD and DE Abby there for happy hour last year , JD parked in the garage( Ican't recall if it was free with a tip for the valet or a charge of some sort) and my memory was that she found the parking arrangement not satisfactory, though I can't recall the specifics of it. I had parked in the nearby Publix as I planned to grocery shop afterwards- in retrospect they might have towed me as parking for that store is always pretty full. I think next time I would not do that. Burger Fi has fairly small lot behind their building in that strip , but I can imagine that gets filled at busy times. I think it is shared with people working in those offices.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,010 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New developments on Sunrise Blvd???

I seem to remember the fence being there last November and I couldn't work out what was going on either.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,830 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New developments on Sunrise Blvd???

I still have to try the new Burger Fi that's next to Texas de Brazil. I also saw the work on the old Borders' building and the CVS signage.... I don't know if there will be a drive-through though Lulu - not sure where they'd put it as it backs up to the water.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,238 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New developments on Sunrise Blvd???

I think they could do it on the south side of the building where the trucks used to pull up for Borders delivery- but that will be interesting- I can't imagine any new drugstore here without a drive in..

I have been to Burger Fi and it was fine , but I'm not much of a burger nut myself. I've also been to Gilberts on 17th- again a fine burger , but I usually prefer something else- I'd be more inclined to go next door to Coco's Asian if I were on 17th St. But that's just me. I just wonder if we aren't getting" burgered out" here .

By the way, a new 'upscale fast food" chain has started out just north of Oakland Park on US 1 that specializes in chicken tenders in various forms. It got a rave review from a local food reviewer and I almost stopped in out of curiosity but the parking lot at 2 pm was mobbed and it has been open a few weeks I think - so it was not because of any grand opening situation.- I think it's called PDQ or some combo of letters- again chicken tenders are not something I seek out, so I have to see what makes them different from anyplace else...Anyone tried it yet?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,238 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New developments on Sunrise Blvd???

OK- PDQ it is - here's the link

http://www.eatpdq.com/