We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arrive in FLL for cruise out of MIAMi...

Biddeford, Maine
Level Contributor
19 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Arrive in FLL for cruise out of MIAMi...

arriving on March 13 late at night... cruise leaves March 15 in the afternoon.

Ive researched some trying to determine if I should stay in FLL area both nights before and then find a way to the Miami port?

Or do 1st night in FLL and the second in Miami?

I know if I play it right I can find mostly free shuttles... but cant find any info on RCC about getting me from FLL to MIA?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,152 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arrive in FLL for cruise out of MIAMi...

The cruise lines like RCI traditionally charge more than anyone else to get you to Miami as they mark it up for profit for themselves.. How many are in your party? If two, I would look for a hotel in Miami near the port and use the Go Van shared ride shuttle from FLL to get you to that area on arrival. I see nothing to be gained by getting taken to a hotel in Fort Lauderdale and then paying again for transport to Miami a day or so later. The Miami Experts can suggest hotels in the Miami Port area- I know the Holiday Inn near Bayside is popular but there are a few others in that area too.

If there are more than two travelling together , splitting a taxi between all of you would actually be cheaper generally speaking , as the shuttle always charges per person, usually making it more expensive than a taxi for parties larger then two

www.floridalimo.com is the site that mentions the Go Van. They are the official contracted provider for FLL and are the only ones allowed to keep vehicles parked at the baggage claims waiting. They have other options like a Town Car with driver , but Go Van is usually the best choice for two people.

Biddeford, Maine
Level Contributor
19 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arrive in FLL for cruise out of MIAMi...

Thanks, yes its just the 2 of us. Because we are coming in so late, I thought we would shuttle to a hotel and shuttle back to the airport in the AM, and then get to Miami...

Biddeford, Maine
Level Contributor
19 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arrive in FLL for cruise out of MIAMi...

And it does seem renting a car for even a day would be cheaper if I could find a deal...

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,152 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arrive in FLL for cruise out of MIAMi...

If it is very late not all the hotels here run their shuttle after 10 or 11 pm as they send the drivers home- but if it is early enough Fairfiled Inn and Suites is right around the corner from FLL and has a shuttle from FLL and is usually reasonable and it is pretty new so updated and clean - and you could go back to FLL in the am for either a rental car or GO van to Miami. I'd be surprised if you can find a cheap car rental here- rates are often quite high but you can investigate- but be sure if you do they let you drop it at a different location without extra drop off charges. Policies vary on that with different companies here , but I think Hertz has a location near Miami cruiseport- not sure about drop off charges though.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arrive in FLL for cruise out of MIAMi...

There's some info here about which hotels provide shuttles to FLL & to Port Everglades & Port of Miami: www.parkingstay.com/p/ft-lauderdale.html

6. Re: Arrive in FLL for cruise out of MIAMi...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 11, 2014