We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top Broward Things To Do For Seniors

Hollywood, Florida
Level Contributor
43 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Top Broward Things To Do For Seniors

What are the top 5 or 6 things to do in the Broward County area? We'll be 4 seniors (2 couples) who need to plan activities for 2 days. We have a car but don't want to spend a lot of time on the road. So far our only thoughts are b'fast at Hollywood beach, maybe a few hours at Gulfstream races and maybe a ride on the New River water taxi. We enjoy sports, nature and music.

Mentioned in this post
Hollywood Beach
Hollywood Beach
4,617 Reviews
Hollywood, FL
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,634 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top Broward Things To Do For Seniors

If you enjoy nature you might enjoy either Gumbo LImbo Nature Center or the Morikami Japanes Gardens- both in Boca Raton just to our north.

Flamingo Gardens is closer( west of Ft. Lauderdale) and is also nature oriented , but I personally enjoy the others more. Butterfly World is lovely but I personally feel their admission is pretty steep for what it is- there are some discount coupons sometimes in tourist guides.

There is a street dance that draws lots of seniors every Saturday night at Commercial Blvd and A1A- the street is closed off and lots of people dance or enjoy an ice cream or dine at a few of the open air restaurants nearby. I think there is some music in the same area on Fridays sponsored bya different restaurant, but I don't know who plaaaaays. You might google 1010Ocean the restaurant that usually sponsssssors the Friday music. Village Pump sponsors the Saturday dance.

Blue Jean Blues, a jazz and blues spot on 33rd St just west of A1A, has some sort of live music every night. It's in a condo area of town so lots of seniors come to listen.

Mentioned in this post
Gumbo Limbo Nature Center
Gumbo Limbo Nature Center
1,521 Reviews
Boca Raton, FL
Flamingo Gardens
Flamingo Gardens
987 Reviews
Davie, FL
Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale
Broward County, FL
Butterfly World
Butterfly World
1,044 Reviews
Coconut Creek, FL
Hollywood, Florida
Level Contributor
43 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top Broward Things To Do For Seniors

All good suggestions most of which I wasn't aware of. Thanks.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,634 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Top Broward Things To Do For Seniors

Oh good- and sorry about my crazy keyboarding which the veterans here are used to..

Also, if it happens to be the first Sunday of the month , there is a Jazz Brunch on Riverwalk Downtown Ft. Lauderdale- food booths and music- a nice time ! And if you get the Friday Sun Sentinel the Showtime section will publicize lots of events in their calendar.

Mentioned in this post
Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale
Broward County, FL
Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
793 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Top Broward Things To Do For Seniors

I would also recommend Butterfly World in Coconut Creek. I love the Morikami and recommend it highly. The Cornell Cafe at the Morikami is a good Japanese restaurant. Gumbo Limbo is very interesting with its new tanks and turtle rescue center.

Edited: 10:22 am, February 02, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Butterfly World
Butterfly World
1,044 Reviews
Coconut Creek, FL
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,899 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Top Broward Things To Do For Seniors

you can also check out sunny.org and click on "ways to play". You'll find lots of things to do on the website. (Although Lulu has given you some awesome ideas!)

6. Re: Top Broward Things To Do For Seniors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 04, 2014