We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very last minute cruises

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
206 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Very last minute cruises

Would like some advice:

Will be renting for all of Jan in Delray. May decide toward the end of our stay to take a cruise for 5-7 days from Lauderdale departing on Feb 1 or Feb 2. Don't much care about itinerary, do care about price.

What is the best strategy. Vacationstogo advised me last minute prices are more likely to rise than fall -- seems counter-intuitive.

Any advice appreciated

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,966 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Very last minute cruises

As far as I know cruise lines can no longer accept "very last minute" passengers due to Government security mandates since 9/11- they have to hand in passenger lists for screening in advance.

Most websites I looked at are offering cruises for two weeks out- nothing closer in date tthan that- todays ads start with Jan. 5.

I have no idea how prices may fluctuate for cruises- it is a supply and demand issue to me and depends on the popularity of a ship or routing. I have noted that closer in date some cabin categories sell out and you have less choices of cabin location. You might want to keep in mind that no matter how cheap a cruise becomes, they all have port taxes etc added in to the price that are not marked down and that can often double the price- and of course most cruise lines now automatically charge a gratuity of $10-12 per passenger per day to your account- so it is important to consider that when budgeting.

Most cruises from here go to the Bahamas and one private cruise line owned island ( 3-4 day) or the Carribbean or the coast of Mexico( 5-7 days). Port taxes vary greatly depending on the itinerary.

We leave on Sunday for a 10 day cruise to the Panama Canal ( our third cruise this year) , but I don't wait till the last minute for booking. February is high cruise season here and usually prices for those dates reflect the hgh demand.

hollywood
Level Contributor
61 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Very last minute cruises

cruisecompete com is a site i use to get the very best deals whenever.

Have fun on Your Panama Cruise i did it this year on Celebrity.

There is a very interesting tour in Cartagena Columbia it is a food Shopping and cooking tour.

I hope you have fun.

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
46 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Very last minute cruises

I know this forum hasn't been active in a while. I am going to cartagena in June. I have been dying to do a cooking class or a culinary tour. Can you send me the information on the one you've mentioned.

Denver and Pompano...
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Very last minute cruises

Please give me some info on your cooking cruise.

we are looking for something from Ft. Lauderdale or Miami.

We live in Denver CO. but have a condo in Pompano Beach fl

also were you able to buy some jewerly on your stops?

Denver and Pompano...
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Very last minute cruises

Please give me some info on your cooking cruise.

we are looking for something from Ft. Lauderdale or Miami.

We live in Denver CO. but have a condo in Pompano Beach fl

also were you able to buy some jewerly on your stops?

6. Re: Very last minute cruises

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 22, 2014