We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car Returns at Cruise Port?

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
1 post
Save Topic
Rental Car Returns at Cruise Port?

Hello Everyone, my wife and I are flying into Ft. Lauderdale a day early for our cruise. We were thinking about renting a car at FLL and then using it to drive around and shop/eat the day we were there, but were wondering if any car rental companies have returns at the cruise port for people departing? Has anyone done this? I would think it would be cheaper for a one day rental, than paying for two or more taxi rides. Thanks!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,132 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car Returns at Cruise Port?

There are no rental car firms inside the Port . Budget has a small store front location outside the north port gate on SE 17th St ( called the Quay Shops location) and Dollar/Thrifty has a location just outside the south port gates on Miami Road. They both send shuttles into the Port to pick up passengers.

The Fort Lauderdale Airport's Joint Rental center is also very close to the Port- probably only a $10-15 taxi ride depending on the ship and all the major brands are represented there. I understand some have shuttles into the Port from that location but I don't know which ones. You might try posting this question in TA's sister site www.cruisecritic.com. Their Forums are called Boards if I recall and one Board is called something like Ports of Call and has posts about each port city- including a section on Florida. People who have cruised here recently can give you advice about companies they used. You'll have to register to post there , but you'll see that there is so much good information about the ships and the ports on that site. There is a section called Roll Call where you can meet others who will be on your same cruise. If enough people sign up, the cruise line generally throws a private Cruise Critic party on the first sea day- we've been to several and enjoyed them!

2. Re: Rental Car Returns at Cruise Port?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 22, 2013