We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving 2012

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
14 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Thanksgiving 2012

We will be arriving in the morning on Thanksgiving day in Fort Lauderdale for 2 days before our cruise, and would appreciate any ideas of what to do. We are not "beach people", and prefer sightseeing/shopping. We will be staying at Dania Beach and will be hiring a car. Any ideas of where to go for Thanksgiving dinner, and also what to do that day. Will the water taxis by operating? We thought of doing a sightseeing trip on one if they are open. We have heard so much about Sawgrass Mills and are planning to visit/shop there the day after Thanksgiving.

We would appreciate any suggestions, particularly for Thanksgiving day.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,238 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanksgiving 2012

Double checking w/ my contact at WT to see what their schedule might be for sure. Thining your best bets for dinner may be a buffet at a hotel on the WT route ( maybe Hyatt Pier 66 or Riverside Hotel)- but stay tuned while I check.

Florida
Destination Expert
for Palm Harbor
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanksgiving 2012

Be aware that the day after Thanksgiving is Black Friday. It's probably one of the top 2 busiest (if not the busiest) shopping days of the year so Sawgrass Mills will be PACKED. If that's something you enjoy (there will be good sales) you might want to get there early. The mall should open at 12am that morning. Target might open earlier - grab a local paper Thanksgiving morning or check the Internet for the great sales and opening times.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
14 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanksgiving 2012

Thank you both for your replies. Pompano, we will certainly keep your advice in mind about the sales, so we are probably going to avoid Sawgrass Mills and head off in another direction. Lulutoo, we have emailed those hotels regarding dinner and look forward to hearing from you about the water taxis.

Again, many thanks!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,238 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanksgiving 2012

My source tells me Water Taxi will run on Thanksgiving , but likely not as late at night as normal- last year they stopped service at 6 pm. They are still deciding on the time they will stop this year and suggest that we check the site closer to Thanksgiivng for an update.

My thought is you could park your car at one of the hotels I mentioned( or there are several others on or near Water Taxi stops if those don't have what you want) , sightsee by WT earlier in the day and then top it off with Thanksgiving dinner and drive back to Dania Beach.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
14 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thanksgiving 2012

Thank you for that info Lulutoo, we are also considering doing a sightseeing trip on the Jungle Queen, does one see more on this cruise, or should we rather stick with the water taxi where one can hop on and hop off?

Toronto
Level Contributor
245 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thanksgiving 2012

Hi all, I am also thinking of booking a trip to Fort Lauderdale. The return date would be November 22 . Any concerns re: traffic getting from hotel on Thanksgiving day ?(most likely Renaissance hotel near cruise port) to the airport on that day? Thanks

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,308 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thanksgiving 2012

Hello Grabev,

Suggest you avoid the Jungle Queen cruise which has a history of being tacky, and take the Carrie B cruise which is very nice instead. Check the Friday Sun Sentinel newspaper for a 2 for 1 coupon. Here is the Carrie B web site:

http://www.carriebcruises.com/

Enjoy!

Spirit

Edited: 4:11 pm, October 09, 2012
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
14 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thanksgiving 2012

Hello Spirit,

Thank you for that information re Carrie B cruises. I will buy the Sentinel newspaper on the Friday after Thanksgiving and book for the cruise. Would we have to book online or could we just arrive at the departure point with the coupon and do a cruise "there and then"?

Many thanks

Grabev

Florida
Destination Expert
for Palm Harbor
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thanksgiving 2012

Mazdeb - traffic on the roads will be light on Thanksgiving.

10. Re: Thanksgiving 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, December 14, 2013