We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help deciding between Hyatt Pier 66 and Hyatt Place on 10th

illinois
Level Contributor
355 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Help deciding between Hyatt Pier 66 and Hyatt Place on 10th

I just signed up for a Hyatt credit card and will be entitled to 2 free nights after my first purchase. We are cruising on RCI end of February. Our cruise leaves on Monday, so I want to stay Sat. and Sunday, but can't decide which hotel to book. The Hyatt Pier 66 looks very nice and I believe it is a water taxi stop.

However, the other one seems like there are more places to walk to. Being we will not have a car, I'm just not sure which one to choose.

I keep going back and forth on this one. Any help will be so greatly appreciated. I couldn't resist the card for annual fee of $75.00.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,652 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help deciding between Hyatt Pier 66 and Hyatt Place on 10th

I am as conflicted as you are! There is no question that Hyatt Place has more walkable near it as Hyatt Pier 66 is over the bridge, but Pier 66 is a so much nicer a hotel- beautiful pool and yacht marina and lovely restaurants. If you are there on a Saturday/ Sunday the Sun Trolley runs across 17th St for $1 /trip and can get you over the bridge and to the other restaurants etc- I think it runs only till early evening- but after that City Bus 40 does the same route ...I really think I'd choose Pier 66 and find a way to make the transportation work between Sun Trolley , Bus and Water Taxi- Probably Water Taxi for $20 pp for an all day pass on Saturday ( or whichever day has the nicest weather forecast and a combo of Sun Trolley and city bus ( if needed ) for Sunday.. I'll post a link for Sun Trolley which is an 'on demand " trolley you wave to when you need a pick up.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,652 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help deciding between Hyatt Pier 66 and Hyatt Place on 10th

The Blue ( Convention Connector) Route is the one you need and is only 50 cents a ride- runs till 6:30 pm

http://www.suntrolley.com/maplasolas/

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help deciding between Hyatt Pier 66 and Hyatt Place on 10th

I would definitely choose Pier 66. The pools and property are really nice. You can walk over the bridge to the Quay Shopping plaza if you don't mind a little walk. There you'll find Bravo's, one of my favorite Italian Restaurants. I'm not sure of the distance, but I'm guessing 1/4 to 1/2 mile.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,652 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help deciding between Hyatt Pier 66 and Hyatt Place on 10th

Jody, I don't know if it's good news or bad that they are opening some semi- upscale fast food type places at the Quay Shops near Bravo- from memory I think CG Burger , maybe a Pei Wei Asian - hard to rmember the specific ones... There is also going to be a Carraba's across the street where Taza used to be ( same strip as Carlos and Pepe's). In the case of the Quay , the parking can be a challenge on busy nights already between Bimini Boatyard and Bravo.. but looks like it will get harder. They have done some remodeling/updating at Bravo if I recall, but i haven't been in to see the result.

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help deciding between Hyatt Pier 66 and Hyatt Place on 10th

I actually like Carrabas, and it should do well there with all the cruisers.

The traffic will be crazy on 17 th with all these new places.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,879 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help deciding between Hyatt Pier 66 and Hyatt Place on 10th

I think it's Shula Burger Lulu. And as far as Pier 66 is concerned, I personally like the pool view rooms in the two story building rather than the tower rooms.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,652 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help deciding between Hyatt Pier 66 and Hyatt Place on 10th

Thanks Abby- I know there is a Shula Burger place already open in the Keys , but I have never tried it- are they any good? With that Gilberts place and Five Guys both just down the street it will be burger wars on 17th St! We'll have to send Sue and Chris around to taste thet since they love Le Tub burgers so much Aren't there one or two other new chain restaurants about to open in the the Quay as well?

illinois
Level Contributor
355 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help deciding between Hyatt Pier 66 and Hyatt Place on 10th

Thanks very much for all the information. Even though Hyatt place offers free shuttle from airport, sounds like pier 66 is a nicer hotel.

9. Re: Help deciding between Hyatt Pier 66 and Hyatt Place on 10th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 10, 2013