We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant recommendations

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
429 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant recommendations

A spin off of my post below: We got some coupons for Restaurant.com so I kind of want to have a few places to eat in mind before we head down to Ft. Lauderdale this weekend.

It's my b-day so we'd like one nice dinner out - preferably seafood or even sushi - any recs on a good place? Not over the top $$$ but somewhere nice.

Any other restaurants that are good & not too pricey? We like all types of food. Places with good atmosphere & maybe on the water taxi route (we'll prob. be doing that one night). We'll have a car also so anywhere in the area will work. Thanks!

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,085 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant recommendations

I would suggest that you take a look on restaurants.com's web site and see what takes your fancy, then look at the reviews. Only you know how many vouchers you have what they will cover and how much you are prepared to pay over and above the value of the vouchers.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,652 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant recommendations

I used ti be a big user of restaurant.com , but for the last year or so the choices here have been generally poor- mainly small ethnic restaurants out west far from the tourism area. I haven't bought a certificate for this area in ages. One that is good is the one for 3030 Ocean which is at Harbor Beach Marriott and many feel is the best seafood spot in town, but it is rather inventive cooking so you would need to be more adventurous than some.

Otherwise there is Lucca, a very good small Italian place not too far from the tourist area - but it has a high minimum requirement and a rather small menu- so look at that before you decide. The Quarterdecks are just an average chain of sports bars one on Las Olas a block from the beach and another on Cordova Rd which is near the Port. Otherwise I really can't think of anything else to recommend to you. There is no place near a Water taxi stop- unless you count that Quarterdeck- those restaurants don't need restaurant .com coupons for business. There used to be better choices but many have dropped out. I don't do sushi but the ones offered are not well known and are mostly far west in strip malls.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
429 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant recommendations

Lulu - thanks for the input. I had a feeling the restaurants listed on restaurant.com wouldn't be that good.. (we have the voucher thru airline miles so I don't care if we don't use it). In my hometown it's also the same - most of the places are not good.

We're still looking for a good seafood place to eat out - whether on restaurant.com or not. Any recs????

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,652 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant recommendations

I like Sea Watch, but at lunchtime- the prices are much higher ( and a la carte) at night and I think the view is prettier in the daylight. It's not on the water Taxi route though- it is north of town on A1A between Commercial Blvd and Pompano Beach. Near the WT route , I think Fifteenth St . Fisheries ( upstairs is upscale at night only, lower level is more informal 'pub") and Bimini Boatyard ( a short walk from the Hilton Marina Stop) are two of my favorites.

Southport Raw Bar and Kelly's Landing are two very informal places off 17th St( both north of 17th from the Embassy Suites traffic light) if you want a very casual atmosphere and locals favorites.

Also not on the WT route, I like Islamorada Fish south of the Airport on Griffin Rd- it gets mixed reviews but I like the dolphin in chardonnay sauce and the grouper in brandied lobster sauce as well as the fried fish/shrimp baskets. I sometimes find the service slow in the dining room so we sometimes eat in the bar if a table is available.

Two other good seafood spots not on WT are on Commercial Blvd near the Intracoastal- Blue Moon Fish ( has 2/1 lunches every day, but their prices are high to start with) and Sea ,a tiny storefront place with the freshest fish around and a talented chef.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
429 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant recommendations

Thanks! I'll check those places out.

Mercer,Wi
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant recommendations

I just looked on restaurants.com the other day and was very disappointed in how few places they currently list in fort lauderdale orr Fort Myers Beach.

My wife and I really enjoy Lucca a little north of the beach area, the quarterdeck is lisited on Cordova and on Las Olas. i think Lips was on once and so was Chima. Ihad certificates for several otherplaces but they nolonger hnor them soI got credit.

Forget Da Big Kahuna. Some of these places you have to spend $50 in order to use the certificate.

7. Re: Restaurant recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, December 13, 2013