We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental at cruise ship terminal

Boquete, Panama
Level Contributor
1 post
70 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental at cruise ship terminal

We are arriving on Holland America on Sept. 23 and want to hire a car, drive to Fort Meyers and then return the car to Fort Lauderdale airport. What would be our best company and are there any tips you can help us with. We're not planning on deviating between picking up the car and going to/from Fort Meyers.

Thanks for your help,

Lorrie Bowes

Mentioned in this post
Fort Myers Beach
Fort Myers Beach
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale
Broward County, FL
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,628 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental at cruise ship terminal

There are no car rental companies located inside the Port. There are two companies that have offices just outside the Port gates ( there are two gates at the ends of our very large port.)- Budget is at the north gate at a small storefront location called the Quay on 17th St . Dollar/Thrifty has an office outside the south Port gates on Miami Rd. and both have shuttles that circulate through the port. However, some have found the shuttles quite slow as they may stop at a number of ships and the port is quite large..

However, the Airport is only a very short distance from Port Everglades ( about a $15 taxi ride shared by all in the taxi ) and has a joint rental car building which services all major brands. If it were me , I would compare prices at all of them . You may find that it would be worthwhile to take that taxi ride if one of the other brands has a better rate for your dates.

I'll attach a map of Port Everglades in my next post. I believe the Holland America ships all berth in the docks numbered in the high 20's which are pretty deep into the port. You can see where you will be located in relation to the Port gates- one on 17th St ( North Port) and the other on SE 24th St ( South Port)

Mentioned in this post
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,628 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental at cruise ship terminal

porteverglades.org/images/…port-map.jpg

3. Re: Car rental at cruise ship terminal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 27, 2013