We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need rental car for 22 days in Feb.

bennington Vermont
Level Contributor
169 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Need rental car for 22 days in Feb.

Hi everyone , my wife and I will arrive in Fort Lauderdale on Feb. 1 and return rental car to Orlando on Feb. 24. Pricing seems to be exceptionally high ; like $50/day. I don't want to send any kids to college , I just want a resonable mid size rental car. Can anyone help ? Thanks

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,240 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need rental car for 22 days in Feb.

I think you could get a significant savings by picking up a car from an off Airport location in FT. Lauderdale and still returning it to MCO Airport in Orlando.

A compact car from the Thrifty rental location at 2300 N. State Rd 7 will only be $164.99/week including all fees or a total of $742.65 for the whole time. I would have to guess at the taxi fare to get to that location, but at $2.50/mile ( typical taxi fare) I'm guessing it would cost you about $25-30 to taxi from FLL to pick it up save all that money.

You might investigate if Thrifty has an off Orlando Airport location to drop off as well and taxi from there- it might bring the cost down even lower.

They are offering larger cars at slightly higher fees, but nothing close to $50/day.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
28 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need rental car for 22 days in Feb.

MauiMan,

I was just getting ready to post the exact question. I don't have the specific dates but I'll be in Ft Lauderdale in February and am having the same trouble with finding a reasonable rate for a rental car. If you have any luck, could you please let me know?

thank you,

Mel

South Florida...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need rental car for 22 days in Feb.

I usually prefer using CarRentals.com for all my rental car services.

They seem to have the lowest rates from my experience.

Mercer,Wi
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need rental car for 22 days in Feb.

you will always do better off the airport by a lot. budget has a rental location near the Port and they do one way rentals which are always more expensive. Enterprise too. No rental agency will pick you up at the airport if they have a rental booth there.

carrentals.com or hotwire have been my most frequent rental resources. do not use advantage or sixt based on posts here and personal experience

bennington Vermont
Level Contributor
169 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need rental car for 22 days in Feb.

THANKS EVERYONE . I HAVE NOT BEEN SUCESSFUL AS OF TODAY ! We can rent in maui for half the cost ! Unbelievable !!. May have to drive !

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,240 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need rental car for 22 days in Feb.

I have not had reason to try it yet , but some postres on other Forums have had luck with

http://www.zalyn.com/

It's a site that has you put in your rental dates etc and then finds for you relevant discount coupons for your particular rental. Why don't you try it and tell us if it helps?

bennington Vermont
Level Contributor
169 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need rental car for 22 days in Feb.

Hi Mel, If your still looking for a rental car in Florida , the best I could find was with Advantage . It was not cheap but it was 300 less for a three rental. Hpoe this helps . Mauiman

Mercer,Wi
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need rental car for 22 days in Feb.

Advantage had the cheapest rate but it was the worst car rental experience I ever had

9. Re: Need rental car for 22 days in Feb.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 am, December 17, 2013