We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Post-cruise hotel near nightlife on New Years Eve???

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
boston
3 posts
Save Topic
Post-cruise hotel near nightlife on New Years Eve???

Any suggestions for a CLEAN, safe hotel for one night following our cruise? Our 2 families would like a hotel within walking distance to nightlife for our 19, 20 & 22 year old boys and also a lively, fun family restaurant or show we could enjoy with our 10 & 13 year olds. We are watching our budget so a free shuttle from Port Everglades or to the FLL airport would be a plus!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,868 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Post-cruise hotel near nightlife on New Years Eve???

I think no one is replying because such a place doesn't exist. All hotels in Lauderdale are VERY expensive on NYE, especially the beachfront ones. Two of your boys are under the legal drinking age and will not be admitted to any of Fort Lauderdale's nightlife as ID's are always checked. The hotels that have free shuttles are not on the beach- they are generaly in less desirable areas, which is why folks are shuttled there. The cost of a taxi to beachfront hotels ( but you would need two for that size party) is only about $20 per taxi .

However, I've lived here a long time and I can't think of anywhere I would want to take children on NYE for a show. Maybe someone else sees this differently, but I really have no suggestions that would meet all your requirements. Maybe you should go directly to the airport upon arrival and head for the Disney comples- but you probably have to book now to get anything for NYE and it will be expensive.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
93 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Post-cruise hotel near nightlife on New Years Eve???

I agree, you have a wide range of ages and the under 21 boys will not be admitted to any club/bar with the 22 y/o. A nice place, doubtful on the free transport, which would be in the middle of a very nice area, Las Olas, would be the Riverside Hotel, www.riversidehotel.com. You are in an area where there are at least 30 restaurants and bars within 1/4 mile either way from the hotel, the hotel is in the center. The hotel is beautiful. There are a lot of restaturants that have awesome night life here that the teenage boys could get into without being carded. The rooms are pretty pricey and you better book now if they aren't already gone. Another plus is that they usually have fireworks in a park about 1/2 mile away.

If you just want a nice hotel thats right across from port everglades, no night life, is the Pier 66. It is currently owned by Hyatt but I believe is being or has been sold. They have an amazing pool area and a huge tower with a revolving restaurant/bar on the top that overlooks the beautiful beach and downtown.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,868 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Post-cruise hotel near nightlife on New Years Eve???

I'm afraid the revolving restaurant at the Hyatt was closed permanently last year during their remodeling and it will be used only for banquets- really a shame for most of us who remember it well. It is true there are usually free fireworks at the end of Las Olas Blvd. on NYE but the restaurants there are prohibitively expensive on New Year's Eve and you usually have to purchase a pricey diner package at most. The Riverside will also be quite expensive at that time and doesn't have a free airport shuttle- it would be among those that would probably be about $20 per taxi from or to the Airport. While there are many restaurants along the Boulevard, it will be hard to restaurant hop - at least we tried it two years ago and finally gave up and came home because of long lines and big cover charges- I don't think anything has changed.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,868 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Post-cruise hotel near nightlife on New Years Eve???

Just for curiosity, I searched Travelocity for hotels in Fort Lauderdale for 12/31/2006. Almost all say they have no rooms available. I'm suspecting most are requiring a multinight stay because New Year's Eve is on a Sunday this year. At the Riverside Hotel's own website, rooms are listed as available starting at $229/ night, but those rooms only accomodate two adults ( they have some very small rooms with one double bed). Other rooms go up over $300/ night- I'm guessing you would need two or more. I'm thinking finding a reasonable sleeping room for that one night will be very problematical. It will probably be wise to start looking as soon as possible and it seems you may have to really pay top dollar here for anything decent.

Not sure I have any helpful options to sugest, just want to alert you to the possible difficulty so you can check on your own as soon as possible.

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Post-cruise hotel near nightlife on New Years Eve???

You might want to consider the seminole Hard Rock Hotel

(www.seminolehardrockhollywood.com). There should be enough there to keep all ages busy, and the pool area is one of the best.It's not far from the airport, but I doubt they provide a shuttle.

boston
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Post-cruise hotel near nightlife on New Years Eve???

Thanks for all the replies to my post. I've been doing some research and I reserved 2 rooms with Embassy Suites on 17th St. through AAA for $239.00 for NYE. I checked many hotels and the rates were very pricey, especially the Hard Rock Hotel. Embassy Suites seems to be in a good location, near restaurants and the water taxi. I would never suggest that my boys go clubing or drinking but we are from the Providence area where "First Night" on NYE is very family oriented with lots of shows and entertainment for all ages, but it's sooooo cold!!! We were hoping that Fort Lauderdale would offer the same in entertainment but I'm getting the impression that it may be unsafe for the boys to go off on their own, I thought they might like to take the water taxi to check out the area??? Maybe we should look into reserving a restaurant with entertainment that we could all enjoy, any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated!