We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Olas cafe?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Las Olas cafe?

Is there a cafe on Las Olas, excluding Starbucks, with a pleasant atmosphere or outdoor seating where it's acceptable to just order coffee to sit and think or read? Storks used to be my spot.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,652 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Las Olas cafe?

I'm trying to find out if the Pane e Dolci Italian bakery /cafe down there is still open- not sure if it is, but if so that would work- and probably also Cafe Europa. I don't tend to linger at Cafe Europa, but I have seen people sitting both inside and on their patio having a cappucino and I did sit quite a while enjoying a glass of wine once and didn't feel pressured to leave- it may depend on how busy they are. I will try to find out aboutt Pane e Dolci- the one up here on Oakland Park Blvd is open- I' just not sure the Las Olas location has survived.

I miss StorksLas Olas too!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,652 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Las Olas cafe?

There is also a small Grand Forno Pronto coffee stand with outside tables near the Riverside Hotel- what I keep forgetting to do is to check to see if their larger bakery cafe which is also located on Las Olas is still open , or if this has replaced it. I must drive more slowly and take a look on my next trip down- unless someone else knows..

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Las Olas cafe?

Thanks for the suggestions. I had espresso from Pan'e Dolci today and wasn't impressed. And it's definitely not a place to linger or read. I went to Grand Forno Pronto a couple days ago and my waiter was surprised when I just ordered a macchiato, but I guess if I go back I'll feel marginally comfortable sitting and reading a book. The outdoor seating is a little cramped. I sat down at Cafe Europa today (before realizing they don't run lunch on Saturdays), and that's definitely more a restaurant than a coffeehouse.

Let me know if you think of any other place.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,652 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Las Olas cafe?

Have you tried this place in the lobby of the Museum of Art at Las Olas and Andrews ?

http://www.moafl.org/book-store.html

They were just opeuing it last time I was there ,and I don't know the details but wine, coffee and desserts all seem to be on the menu

It's a branch of a well regarded book store in Coral Gables

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,652 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Las Olas cafe?

There is an Offerdahl's down there too- which I have always found more tolerable than Starbuck's

http://www.offerdahls.com/

Fort Lauderdale...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Las Olas cafe?

Both Gran Forno and PaneDolce are still open. Another alternative is East End Eats.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,652 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Las Olas cafe?

You might want to try the "original' and much larger Gran Forno which is toward the more eastern end of restaurant row. It is more full service and may not be as amateurish about their coffee know how. The Pronto version near the Riverside is more designed for convenience than authenticity.

Yeah, I really miss that Storks- if you get a chance, swing by the original Storks in Wilton Manors sometime.

8. Re: Las Olas cafe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:40 pm, June 22, 2013