We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

limitthespreads

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,633 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
limitthespreads

thought I should start my own topic instead of tagging onto the other persons. Not quite fair.

I've been looking at Delray Beach. What's that area like? It sure looks affordable yet not too ritsy. ONe thing, do you risk floods by living next to the canal? Thanks!

Level Contributor
2,130 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: limitthespreads

traveltripper

USA (3109906)

Posted on: 12:29 pm, today

"...oh yeah, limit, what are "deep water" properties?

- I hear your insurance is sky high and electricity too. Is this true?

- Is the Las Olas a pricey neighborhood or just a shopping area?

Thanks!..."

Delray Beac is in Palm Beach County....just North Of Boca Raton. There are some nice areas...and not bad areas. The dowtown areas is just about completed its urban renewal projects....lots of new buildings and small restaurants along Atlantic. The old Holiday Inn on A1A & the beach has been a Marriott for many years now.

About Las Olas. THere are some properties near...in the VIctoria Park areas that will have rentals that you could afford. I think rentals are actually coming down, because the flippers are having a hard time selling their condo units.

I will check rental prices in the next Sunday Sun Sentinal.

Codes....Deepwater means the condo, apt or private house is on deepwater....a river or canal....that can have docakage for some type of boat. Usually, deepwater means a higher cost. I don't think electricity costs more....but if you have pumps and ele in the boat, you will use more electicity.

No fixed bridges NFB means the property is on a waterway that leads to the ocean without having to go under a bridge that can't go up. What the buyer sometimes forgets to check...is how far away the inlets are to ocean access. From the Ft Lauderdale (port Everglades), gong S.....the next 'inlet is just north of Bal Harbor in Miami Beach.

The canals are really needed for drainage....which is controlled by the city or county. If you live on a barrier island, like Ft Laud Beach, Del Ray Beach, Hollywood Beach, a direct hit from the direction of the ocean could easily put barrier islands under water.

The intracoastal could rise, the ocean side could also rise, and the water will cover the land.

Most buildings built to codes of the 1960s have no apartments on the lower levels...usually just parking. They are built on pilings. So are the newer single family homes in those areas. (The homes in this area have the grounds built up...

Check a map. Note that almost all of Fl seems to be some kind of barrier island, east or west side....those on the other side of the intracoastal would be subject to less flooding.

That big lake you seeon the map has flooded the areas around it many years ago.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,633 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: limitthespreads

Ken: Thanks for your detailed answer. It helps so much. I'll take your advise and keep researching. I wasn't aware of all those codes?