We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ft. Lauderdale vs Boca Raton

mississauga
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Topic
Ft. Lauderdale vs Boca Raton

We are travelling in late March to this area for 3 - 4 days before heading up to Saint Pete Beach. We would like to shop, go to Miami beach for a few hours and hang out on beaches at hotel. We will rent a car and would like to stay somewhere resonably nice to enjoy our first trip to Florida. Will be travelling with 8 year old. Really love the ocean and beaches and clean hotel.

Do you have any advice. We can drive where ever not going out partying at night. Also spending a bit of time away from resort, so trying to figure out options.

thanks for any advice

Florida
Level Contributor
320 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ft. Lauderdale vs Boca Raton

IMO, Ft. Lauderdale beach is more kid-friendly, with more to do in the immediate area. It is also closer to Miami, since you say you would like to spend some time there. If you interested in doing an Everglades tour, it is also, again, closer than Boca. If you are looking for ideas about hotels, we will be happy to help -- please provide your budget per night.

mississauga
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ft. Lauderdale vs Boca Raton

Thanks for your input. After researching yesterday, I feel more drawn to Ft. Lauderdale. I am looking at Hilton, Pelican, B Hotel and Lago Mar. However Lago Mar is quoting over $300. I prefer to stay closer to $200 ' ish.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Have a great day

Florida
Level Contributor
320 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ft. Lauderdale vs Boca Raton

Lago Mar is wondeful for kids if you can swing it, especially if you have a car, since it is a little far to walk to other places. It has a little putt putt course, a playground, hammocks, great pools, a soda shop, beach grill, restaurant, and is right on the sand.

The Pelican is also nice but a little further from the action -- you would definitely have to drive from there to get to other things as well -- and perhaps not as enticing to kids. A lot of visiting families have enjoyed the HIlton, which is within walking distance to most everything of interest in the beach area. You may want to try that if its price is more to your liking.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,893 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ft. Lauderdale vs Boca Raton

I have to disagree with Londonbound2009 saying that Lago Mar is walking distance to anything. It is far from the beaten path but if you're looking for hotels that are kid friendly and close to the action, I would definitely look at the Harbor Beach Marriott, Westin Beach Resort (both have wonderful kids' programs) and the Hilton Beach. I love Lago Mar, but I think it's not what would fit your needs to the best extent. I can't tell you what the rates will be, but the amenities will fit what you're looking for.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,152 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ft. Lauderdale vs Boca Raton

I don't have children , so I'm not going to express an opinion- but whatever you decide , look into this as a way for your child to have a fun day with others- it is a well regarded program here:

http://www.funkyfishkidsday.com/

Florida
Level Contributor
320 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ft. Lauderdale vs Boca Raton

Abby, I agree -- I actually stated that Lago Mar is too far too walk to other places, but is fine if you have a car as poster will seem too. I still contend it is a haven for kids -- as a local member, my kids practically grew up there and were always running into other kids -- a great self-contained resort on the sand. Although not within walking distance, it is within easy driving distance of a lot of things.

7. Re: Ft. Lauderdale vs Boca Raton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, October 17, 2012