We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are They Gone??

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Defiance, Ohio
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Are They Gone??

I have not been to Ft. Lauderdale in about 35 years. At that time we stayed on N. Atlantic Blvd. between Las Olas and Sunrise Blvd. We liked the Central Location and did a lot of walking. I am now planning another vacation to the area, but I can't seem to find any Hotels in that area. If indeed there is nothing there, could anybody suggest a safe and central location Ocean Front?

Thanks for any help.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,868 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are They Gone??

Most of the places you are thinking off are in fact gone- spots like the Bahama Hotel etc. which were cute little beachfront hotels, have been torn down and replaced with luxury hotels ( like the Atlantic) or condo hotels- some of which are still under construction ( like the Trump and the St. Regis). Basically, the Oceanfront is now upscale and expensive and the few spots left are looking pretty seedy ( Sea Club for instance) which leads me to think they are or will soon be sold as well. The Howard Johnson never reopened after the hurricane.

You might go to www.sunny.org ( the Tourist Board website) and look at their accomodation listings. There are many small hotels listed there, but having not stayed in any, I am hesitant to recommend. But there are lots of reviews of them on this site. Be aware that many of the smaller inns and guesthouses cater to a gay clientele- although most will make that clear in their listing.

chicago
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Are They Gone??

I went to sunny.org and had them mail me a brochure on small hotels. Click on VISITORS, then click on FREE STUFF, then on ORDER FREE STUFF. Fill out your info and put a check in any of the brochures you want. I got the *Superior Small Hotels and the *Vistors Map & Events Calandar. I found them both VERY helpful. The small hotel guide was great and all gay friendly resort say so. I live in Illinois and received my brochures in about 3 days.

PA
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Are They Gone??

I'm not sure what kind of place you are looking for other than something with a great location, but I recommend the Granada Inn. It is on Granada St. between Las Olas and Sunrise. It is a great location. It's a nice little place, and probably one of the best of the smaller places.

If you are looking for a big hotel, don't go to the Granada Inn. The Sheraton Yankee Trader is right in front of the Granada Inn, so it also has a great location. But the Granada is cheaper and made me feel more at home.