We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Sun Life Stadium (Dolphins Game)?

Janesville...
Level Contributor
710 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
How to get to Sun Life Stadium (Dolphins Game)?

We haven't booked our hotel yet, but looks like we could be flying into FLL if the rate stays that much cheaper than MIA any suggestions as to reasonable transportation into the stadium from the Ft Lauderdale area? Or would we be better off to stay in Miami? Suggestions for a hotel there? We are going to the game and then a 4 night cruise from MIA- 2 couples will be traveling to FL we are ok with sharing a room for the 2 nights before our cruise- roughing it! :)

Thanks in advance!

~T

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,890 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Sun Life Stadium (Dolphins Game)?

There aren't any easy ways to get to the stadium from any of the hotels so you'll probably have to cab it to whereever you decide to stay. There is one hotel - the El Palacio - that's really close to the stadium. I have never been in the hotel (they bill themselves as a sports hotel) and it may not be too bad. It's actually pretty much walking distance to the stadium and you might want to check out the reviews (if there are any) - they would probably be on the Miami forum.

If you want to stay in a nice property/resort that's not too far away, check out the Westin Diplomat. On the ocean and a truly beautiful hotel. You'd love it!

I would definitely fly into FLL - it's just as close as MIA and a lot easier (and cheaper).

Edited: 9:46 pm, August 25, 2010
Janesville...
Level Contributor
710 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to Sun Life Stadium (Dolphins Game)?

Thx for the reply! If we fly into FLL do any of the Miami hotels have free shuttles to that distance? We are packing so much into this short trip that I don't want to spend a ton of time trying to get to and from places. We have the game on Sunday- of which we may have a ride to and from, but there will be 6 of us smashed in a car from what ever hotel we book so the shorter the ride the better :) Then we need to get from the hotel to the Miami port so if I can find something reasonable distance to all things we would be looking good... I know that might be next to impossible but that's why I'm asking my T.A. pals....

Fort lauderdale
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to Sun Life Stadium (Dolphins Game)?

Never heard of any hotel going to the stadium, its not that close. There really isn't anything touristy around the stadium

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,871 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to Sun Life Stadium (Dolphins Game)?

The El Palacio is right next door to the Stadium but it is a real dump... for football games they usually manage to fill up with sportswriters etc who have to stay nearby- but I*'d avoid it at all costs ( it smells when you walk in the lobby.)

You will have to taxi out there there is no public transportation for the Stadium that I know of- for a nearby hotel , you might look for a motel in Miramar , FL- it's not the best area of town ,as Audrey mentioned, but it does have some chains. If ther are six of you , you may have to use two taxis ,as I think four is generally the passenger limit- but there is a taxi starter at the airport who might be able to find you a bigger one- or check with the GO Van desk right next to the taxi stand- they also have Town Cars with a driver that might hold all of you- in whichever instance you will share the cost among occupants , so it won't be all that bad divided up. I would start early on game day looking for transportation from motel to Stadium just in case it takes a while, as I don't know how quickly you can get one out in Miramar- but inquire at the hotel you choose on arrival first - they may have a shuttle or a service they can call though I really don't know of any for sure- just check the price first - sometimes they charge per person which might be more expensive than splitting a taxi- and whatever way you choose to go, get the driver's card and see if you can call him to pick you up at a pre arranged spot afterward- it can be quite a madhouse.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,890 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to Sun Life Stadium (Dolphins Game)?

Just to clarify Lulu's statement - the chain hotels that can be found in Miramar are out west near I-75. The area is safe and very nice but it's very far from the stadium. The area that's "not the best area of town" refers to where the stadium is.....The stadium itself is great, the area across the road, not so nice.

There are no hotels in the area that have shuttles to/from the airport or to the stadium. There used to be buses that left from Fort Lauderdale to the games but I don't think the service is still operational.

Personally, I'd stay on the beach and rent a town car from GoShuttle.......

Nashville, Tennessee
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get to Sun Life Stadium (Dolphins Game)?

I'm coming down for the Jets game and found this (I wish I could remember where):

Ignore the advice to take Supershuttle. Supershuttle does not pick up at FLL.

It is actually not a difficult ride, though it will be slow. Take the Broward No. 1 bus SOUTH from the Airport all the way to Aventura Mall (the end of the line). At Aventura Mall you pick up the Metro-Dade Bus no. 99 west. Get off at the corner of 27th Ave & 199th St. Look eastward & you'll see the stadium.

I cannot vouch for the accuracy of it but I'll do it to save exorbitant can costs

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,871 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get to Sun Life Stadium (Dolphins Game)?

Just to clarify as well , there is a Hampton Inn in Miramar that is 5 miles west of Sun Life- about half the distance from Sun Life to I-75 - so maybe not too far to consider - would be about a $10-12 taxi ride I think- I just don't know how plentiful taxis are ...

The #! Bus south from FLL to Aventura with the transfer to the other bus probably is as good as it's going to get for public transportation to the game from points east. I'm not sure what the walk is like from the bus stop mentioned into the Stadium- it lisn't a nice area of town... so I'll look forward to hearing how it went for the poster Maybe his experience will benefit others. It will indeed be slow going I'm sure. It's just a crying shame the "powers that be" eliminated the Golden Glades Park and Ride and TriRail/Shuttle options- apparently a legal issue about using gov. finded buses to benefit a private business..but isn't Aventura Mall and almost anyplace else buses go to a private business as well... I don't get it- maybe someone else can enlighten me as to how that all came about......

Aventura, Florida
Level Contributor
987 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get to Sun Life Stadium (Dolphins Game)?

Not sure if this is too late for your trip, but I would suggest staying at the Hampton Inn Aventura/Hallandale on U.S. 1 right near the Miami-Dade/Broward County Line (about 10 miles from Ft. Lauderdale airport). It is relatively inexpensive, fairly new, and right across from Gulfstream Racetrack with the new Villages shopping center -- lots of restaurants, a great happy hour at Brio's there. The motel is just north of Ives Dairy Road which goes west directy to the stadium (6 miles).

Assuming you can get all your luggage into one taxi, from the airport to the hotel will run around $20-25; from the hotel to the Port around $55 or so depending on traffic and where in the Port you are going.

Edited: 12:44 am, September 18, 2010
9. Re: How to get to Sun Life Stadium (Dolphins Game)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:37 am, March 18, 2011