We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Estoril, Tropi Rock?? Any Groovey Hotel Suggestions??

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
141 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Estoril, Tropi Rock?? Any Groovey Hotel Suggestions??

Two 40 something couples looking for a non

chain hotel for a few nights mid february.

Something near or on ocean in Lauderdale.

I found a small luxury hotel group on Visitors Bureau site. Estoril, Green Island and Tropi Rock were listed?? Any suggestions or support of my choices

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,876 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Estoril, Tropi Rock?? Any Groovey Hotel Suggestions??

I've lived here for almost 40 yrs and of the three listed have only ever seen ( just to drive by) the Tropi-Rock. The others are located not far from where I live, so I will try to drive by on Saturday and re-post. I will comment that the website for Green Island doesn't load for me, so I wonder if it is still there- I'll let you know what I find. My guess is that the two spots I haven't seen are very small "mom-pop" type places, so what will be telling is what the upkeep looks like. Tropi-Rock is a block or so from the Ocean and to me looks like someone has bought an older two story apartment complex and painted, landscaped and decorated it to look tropical and sort of "funky". I think the reviews here mention old yet clean and that probably covers it- the windows for instance all seem to have designs painted on them in hot pink and turquoise and the landscaping seems quite thick with plants etc. Will update you when I get a chance to look again this weekend. I don't think any of these places will be like the b&b's of Key West, for example- if that's what you are looking for.

Level Contributor
141 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Estoril, Tropi Rock?? Any Groovey Hotel Suggestions??

Thanks for your response. The other couple went ahead and booked the Ramada. They didn't want to take any chances. Besides, I contacted the Estoril and Tropi Rock both are booked. If you could assist in another mission? We will also book into the Ramada.

However, our single cousin,45 years old, would need a room duing our stay, near the Ramada. A mom and pop hotel for under $100.

Thanks Chris

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,876 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Estoril, Tropi Rock?? Any Groovey Hotel Suggestions??

Which Ramada are you speaking of- if it's the one on Rt 84, not a good choice,

Level Contributor
141 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Estoril, Tropi Rock?? Any Groovey Hotel Suggestions??

Ramada Plaza Oceanfront 4060 Gault

I really appreciate your efforts

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,876 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Estoril, Tropi Rock?? Any Groovey Hotel Suggestions??

AH,that's a better choice- not far from me. There are a number of Mom & Pop spots all along A1A , which runs parralel to your street one block over. I just don't have any idea what the rooms are like inside, but I will check out some names of the ones that look most promising and you can check reviews.

I would caution your friend to definitely avoid thw Ocean Manor , a condo/hotel near yours which is very unsatisfactory.

You will be within easy walking distance to the Greek Isles Taverna at Oakland and A1A and McGuiness' Pub - if you are lucky , Footy the bartender will be on the job.

There is also a very small pizza takeout on A1A and Oakland - down from the Walgreens- called Pizza Rustica- if you blink you'll miss it but the pizza is Roman Style and just delicious.

I'll post some small motels for your friend to explore.