We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Reports Would Be Helpful

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Reports Would Be Helpful

As a local who has been trying my best to answer queries, I wanted to mention how helpful it would be to others and to me if some of you who visit our area would post a "trip report" after your visit. Many folks on the Las Vegas Forum do so- a summary of where they stayed and ate, how they got around, attractions they enjoyed etc. I would find it helpful so that if my advice is bad I would not repeat it and I think those planning to come would pick up some useful tips

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
435 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Reports Would Be Helpful

Hi Lulutoo, I will be flying out on Dec 1st to Orlando for 2 nights then travelling down to Ft Lauderdale for 5 nights then going across to Naples for 4 nights, returning to Orlando for 1 night then flying home. I will be happy to report my trip. I am a little apprehensive as a couple of my hotel choices are not great according to TA reports ie Wyndham Palace at Buena Vista and the Edgwater at Naples, I think it will be a little too far out of the way for my husband and myself, but we always try to make the best out of any situation. Also we are flying with Virgin and have heard a lot of bad report about them, but hey ho, never mind, we are going for a well earned rest so hope the weather is good for sitting and lazing. I will let you know!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Reports Would Be Helpful

I'm wishing you a lovely trip1 The weather here has been glorious- high 70's (F) by day, mid 60's at night- I know you will enjoy that! You didn't mention your Lauderdale hotel

I was in Naples in September and at that time the Edgewater was in extensive renovation- hopefully that is over now, so any recent reviews might be more accurate. We satyed in the Inn at Pelican Bay- not at all on the water, but very lovely -and a nice walk to the Ritz Carlton ( which seemed insufferbly snobby to me).

If you are in Naples, you might give try to the Naples trolley. For a modest sum ( can't remember, but we found a 2/1 coupon) they take you all over town with commentary- helpful for learning your way around and deciding where to go back later. By taking the trolley , we learned that Tin City was not as great as we hoped- saw a few nicer shops that we explored later.

Thanks to a TA review we tried Watermark Grill ( not on the Trolley) for dinner- Greek owned, very reasonable- desserts to die for- and the Tropical Reef ( also not on the trolley)- a tiny storefront place with great Sunday Brunch and crabcakes- our find of the trip! Naples is so lovely - I know you'll love it!

Let me know where you are staying in Lauderdale- maybe I can help with restaurants!

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
435 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Reports Would Be Helpful

Hi and thank you for your tips. We are staying at Marriott Harbour Beach in Ft Lauderdale. I have heard a lot of good reviews but also some bad, guess I'll just have to see. I'm just looking out of the window and it's snowing, hope I get to the airport OK on Thursday!! Thanks again for your information.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Reports Would Be Helpful

I'll be very surprised if you aren't completely delighted with the Harbor Beach Marriott- it's a class act. Their seafood restaurant , 3030, while pricey gets rave reviews- definitely save it for a special dinner if you love seafood.

Most other restaurants will be a brief taxi ride from there- also , if you can get across A1A to the Bahia Cabana Hotel- an older hotel that is not good for staying- you can hop on a Water Taxi at the little bar and go to a variety of nice waterfront stops- your concierge can help you with info I'm sure. I can't remember if the Water Taxi goes to Blue Moon Fish Co. which is on the Intracoastal but pretty far north of you- if it does, it would be a lovely boat ride to go up there for lunch- it's a bit expensive but really good- they have a nice brunch on Sunday as well if you are around then - and you will get to e some lovely waterfront views on your way- which is why I would suggest it for lunch over dinner.

Other than that, I'm sure you'll spend a day or evening walking Las Olas Blvd- lots of good spots there. If you end up at the Riverfront a little further down, I recently had a lovely meal at the Metro Grill there- an Italian spot and Max's next to it is good as well- reasonable prices with a somewhat limited menu.

If you are in a rowdy mood one evening, Howl at the Moon at Beachplace is a lively "dueling pianos" bar.

I'm glad you are staying at Marriott- right at the hotels further up along A1A would not be my first choice- there's lots of construction up there- not because of the hurricanes- we just have lots of pricey condo/hotels being built and it makes things look pretty torn up- Marriott will be an oasis, I'm sure- It's gorgeous here right now- and no reason it shouldn't continue to be! Have a safe flight!

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
435 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Reports Would Be Helpful

Can't thank you enough for all the info and your kindness. I realy love seafood so your suggestions are great. I'm just so excited for my trip now, two more days at work and boy will they drag on! Will post my report on return, well maybe a few days later when I have recovered.

Ohio
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Reports Would Be Helpful

Lulutoo,

We will be going on a cruise in February and have decided to fly into F/Lauderdale one day ahead. Since we don't know where the dock is in F/Lauderdale, where do you recommend we stay that one night before our departure? Our ship will be boarding at l pm. Are there hotels close and convenient to where the docks are for Celebrity ships? Also, do you know if the hotels provide transportation from the airport or do we have to make our own arrangements?

I would appreciate any information you can provide.

Anne

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Reports Would Be Helpful

All the docks are at Port Everglades, which is south of 17th Street Causeway and east of Federal Highway. Most cruisers seem to book a hotel either on 17th Street ( probably from least to most expensive- Holiday Inn Express Convention Center Amerisuites - both have breakfast and a shuttle to the ship- followed by Embassy Suites and Marina Marriott - then Rennaisance and Hyatt Pier 66- none of which have shuttles to my knowledge. Pier 66 is being renovated at this point and not my choice till renovations are completed- and they are somewhat delayed thanks to Wilma I understand.

Other nearby spots some folks use are on the beach- best Western Oceanside and Sheraton Yankee Clipper- not sure if they shuttle.

A bit further away along Stirling Road south of the airport there are both a Comfort Inn and a Hampton Inn that should have shuttles both from and to the airport and cruise port.

There is also a Holiday Inn Express Air?seaport a little south and west of the cruiseport that offers breakfast and shuttle. I think the hotel is nice, but I'm not crazy about that area- not much in the way of restaurants or places nearby.

Two of the most expensive and luxurious hotels in the area are right on the beach- Harbor beach Marriott and Lago Mar- very upscale and quite expensive. They offer no shuttles, but for those prices most folks would pay for a private taxi anyway. All depends on what you like, but just to sleep for one night, I would probably not spend the money- you won't have time to enjoy their ambiance.

Just be certain if you're going to shuttle that you check with the desk on arrival as some places have a first come first serve sign up. Also, give yourself some extra time getting to the Port for check in and security. There might not be a line, but if there is you won't have to feel stressed- and if you breeze right onto the ship they will be selling bon voyage drinks and providing some sort of food, so you can get settled and start to explore.

Celebrity should be a nice choice- probably the best food of any cruise line, from what I've heard!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Reports Would Be Helpful

Also want to suggest that you look at cruisecritic.com It's a great website and you can read advice from those who have recently cruised both about your ship, shuttles and where they stayed pre or post cruise. Since I only get to drive by hotels here, not stay in them, it would be good to get their advice I'm sure!

Ohio
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Reports Would Be Helpful

Lulutoo,

Thank you so much for all the information you provided. This should help us make the necessary accommodations for one night. I really appreciate your help. We have cruised with Celebrity and our experience has been very positive.

Anne

Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Reports Would Be Helpful

I shall be pleased to oblige when i return home on Dec 19th