We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alligators?

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
177 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Alligators?

Where do you go to see alligators in FL?

Ten years ago I visited Naples. One guy was chased by a gator on the golf course. We visited a alligator farm-- short cruise, saw gators laying around, petted a baby gator.

Is there anywhere in FL to see gators?

Come on, I talk to tourists from FL and everyone has a gator story.

LOL.

Orange, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alligators?

The only Alligators I've seen in FLL was years ago when we took the Jungle Queen tour and they had a small island where they put on a show. The tour isn't all that good but you would see some Alligators. http://www.junglequeen.com/

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alligators?

Like Harry, I have only seen alligators on the island where the Jungle Queen stops.I have been going for years, and have never seen a wild one. In Orlando once, we were staying on a golf course, and there was one sunning in the back yard.Needless to say, my kids were not allowed outside at that place.

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Alligators?

If you want to see them for free, take a drive along hwy 41 between Miami and Naples. Look in the canal that runs alongside the roadway.

California
Level Contributor
177 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alligators?

Thanks guys. As tacky as the Junglw Queen sounds, I might have to do it. My 7 year old will probably like it and the alligator.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
7,930 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alligators?

Why not do an airboat ride to see gators? I'm sure a 7 year old would like that.

http://www.evergladestours.com/

http://www.evergladesholidaypark.com/

These 2 parks are probably the closest. They won't guarentee that you will be gaotors in the wild to Sawgrass Recreation Park has a small animal sanctuary and there are gators there along with other frlorida wildlife.

davie florida
Level Contributor
254 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alligators?

Take a drive on appropriately named Alligator Alley ( US 75 ) during mating season , May/June , and you will see lots of gators on the North side of the road....

California
Level Contributor
177 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alligators?

Ugh, I ran it by my wife. She thinks it is inhumane to see the alligators wrestling or in captivity. She wants to see them live. Great. Ugh.

That means the Everglades in June-- hot, humid, mosquitos.

Im thinking the tram at Shark Valley. 2 hours? Hope they have a good bathroom at the halfway point.

essen, germany
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Anna Maria Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
3,912 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alligators?

Don´t worry too much!

It is great to be there and the airboat tour is awesome!!

Your wife is right! :-)

Nothing compares to the "real wild gators" out there!

Mosquitos are there but even THEY don´t come during the HOT daytime...

Been there every year since mid 90s and never had a problem (well DON´T go early morning or late afternoon thou!!)

Use deep wood with deet and don´t worry!!

West Virginia
Level Contributor
51 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alligators?

I would never recommend anyone ever to go on the Jungle Queen cruise. It's just awful from beginning to end. Like the other poster I would recommend Everglades Holiday Park. The air boats are covered and it is a much better way to see gators.

California
Level Contributor
177 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alligators?

You guys convinced me. Jungle Cruise out, Everglades in. I hope they have a good bathroom at the halfway point at Shark Valley.