We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early January visit/Tutankhamun exhibition

Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Early January visit/Tutankhamun exhibition

Hi there,

I will be flying from South America to Europe via Miami early in January 2006, and have just realised that the Tutankhamun exhibition will be in Fort Lauderdale at this time. I would very much like to attend this exhibition and so have two questions:

1. Is there any transport from Miami airport to Fort Lauderdale, such as an airport bus etc.? If so, how long would this take roughly?

2. Could you recommend any reasonably priced accommodation anywhere near (within reasonable walking distance of) the Museum of Art on One East Las Oblas Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale?

I would much appreciate any feedback (I am due to leave Australia on 2 December).

Mentioned in this post
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,567 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early January visit/Tutankhamun exhibition

Wow, this is a tough one for me! If you haven't already done so, post the same query in the Miami Forum , so folks who live there may be better able to assist you with transportation. That said, you are coming to our area in the height of the tourist season- so "affordable hotel within walking distance" is probably pretty unlikely. The Riverside Hotel, on Las Olas, is terribly expensive ( I'm guessing $250 plus depending on dates) and the only other one I can think of- the Hampton Inn Downtown- about 5 blocks or so, but walking not throughbest part of town is advertising $189 for most of January. taxi fare feom there would only be a few dollrs however.

There is a Tri Rail Comuter train that you can get from MIA into Ft. Lauderdale- you take a shuttle bus a brief distance from MIA to catch it and then it goes both to a stop near FLL where you again take a short shuttle bus to the airport- a taxi to Las Olas -or in your case further north to Sunrise Blvd, which would probably be a bit better stop- a little closer to the Las Olas area. You would have to taxi to Las Olas from either stop- I'm sure taxis meet the Tri Rail and should be under $10- I'm just not sure how much luggage they allow you to bring on the TriRail.

I'm wondering where you are staying in the Miami area- wonder if it is possible that you can take a regular bus or Tri Rail from your hotel and back to Miami if you already have reasonable accomodations. Post a query in the Miami Forum and let me know what your accomodations in Miami are- City buses do run up from Miami and then you can transfer onto the Broward system from there. I perhaps can try toplot a course for you for a day trip from Miami- not sure how available tickets to Tut are at this point- have you checked? It is certainly a coup for our town!

Mentioned in this post
Riverside Hotel
Riverside Hotel
1,679 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Early January visit/Tutankhamun exhibition

Thanks Lulutoo - I appreciate your thoughtful response.

I will post my query in the Miami forum and will look into any other possible hotels - not necessarily within walking distance... I'll need to find a map of Fort Lauderdale.