We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fort Lauderdale / Hurricane Damage

3 posts
Save Topic
Fort Lauderdale / Hurricane Damage

We are schedule to be in Fort Lauderdale and Miami next week (Nov 2) for 5 days. Is it even worth making the trip now due to the hurricane damage? Any thoughts and advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fort Lauderdale / Hurricane Damage

It's still too soon to tell as damage is still be assessed - (no telling how long the just instituted curfew will be in effect for Miami )- check the Miami/Ft Lauderdale TV station web sites for the moment and maybe some FLL locals will get their power back to reply here on TA.

SantsRosaBeach
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fort Lauderdale / Hurricane Damage

Here is the Miami Herald Newspaper website:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/

Here is the website for the Ft. Lauderdale/Broward & Palm Beach County newspaper:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/

London, England
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Fort Lauderdale / Hurricane Damage

Phone lines are still down, Im quite worried as my b/f lives in Delray, though he doesnt panic over these kinds of things its quite worrying with the new's pictures I've seen. Im sure he's ok but will feel much better once I've heard from him....

Im back out there in Dec 4th to 15th never been in Dec b4 what the weather like in general? are we still talking t-shirt and possible beach bathing or not? I know it gets cold in the evenings so will pack jeans & stuff.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fort Lauderdale / Hurricane Damage

Omniscient

For the weather history for past years for Ft. Lauderdale, use the Weather Underground web site: www.wunderground.com

London, England
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Fort Lauderdale / Hurricane Damage

thx enveavour 105 :)

Victoria B.C. Canada
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Fort Lauderdale / Hurricane Damage

we are booked at the pelican beach resort in fort lauderdale on the 15 nov 05 for two nights then on a cruise for 9 days. we are a large group and would appreciate any advice on our trip. thanks.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fort Lauderdale / Hurricane Damage

I am booked at the Marriott Vacation Club property Beachplace for Nov. 5th. I understand from the Marriott site that the resort sustained" minor" damage..but that doesn't tell me anything. I saw pictures on the news of highrises with all their windows blown out!

Anybody have ANY information on this resort, or the surrounding area?

Thanks a bunch!

Wolf

anywhere
Level Contributor
78 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fort Lauderdale / Hurricane Damage

no info about the Marriot, but what I understand is most hotels have power in Miami beach if you wish to venture south 20 miles. We just called the hotel RIU and they say that their pool is already clean and they have power. Good luck

New Jersey
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Fort Lauderdale / Hurricane Damage

I called the Pillars Hotel this morning. They have no power but the guy said they didn't get much damage. He said there are people staying there now. We are headed there in a few weeks and he assured me they would be up and running. I am still pretty nervous though.

I read that the watertaxi is running again.

Bronx, NY
Level Contributor
53 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fort Lauderdale / Hurricane Damage

We are also going to the Marriott Vacation Club but later in November. I found out it is re-opening tomorrow (Friday). But I couldn't get thru direct to the place because the phones are still down, I got a central office.

Please let me know if you find anything else out.