We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Activities in Fort Lauderdale AREA

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
254 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Activities in Fort Lauderdale AREA

I will have two days, pre cruise in Fort Lauderdale area. I will have with me my 18 year old son, who is a farmer and who hates shopping! Any suggestion for a day for him as my daugher (15) and I are planning one full day at Sawgrass Mills - I suppose he can go and watch a film!

Mentioned in this post
Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale
Broward County, FL
Sawgrass Mills
Sawgrass Mills
8,139 Reviews
Sunrise, FL
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,620 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Activities in Fort Lauderdale AREA

Would he enjoy a day of deep sea fishing? There are many boats that go out around the Bahia Mar area along the beach. There is also an all day pass on the Water Taxi ( $5, but heard it may increase) whre he can hop on ans hopoff all day , visiting spots along the water. Snorkling is another possibility, as well as scuba lessons.

Mentioned in this post
Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach - a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel
Bahia Mar Fort...
4,283 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Water Taxi
Water Taxi
5,406 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,620 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Activities in Fort Lauderdale AREA

Maybe a tour of the Everglades with an airboat ride? Usually a chance to see alligators and other fauna. There should be brochures around for guided day tours in most hotels- or try the yellow pages.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,620 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Activities in Fort Lauderdale AREA

I keep having more brainstorms for your son- perhaps- ther is indeed a big movie theater right in Sawgrass Mall- I think it has about a dozen screens so he would have lots of choices- there is also a Gameworks Cafe right across from it- just full of all kinds of vidoe games etc. In addition, right near there is a branch of Ron Jon's Surf Shop- even though he is not a shopper he might enjoy browsing in what most guys his age find a very cool place. So, if he hung around Sawgrass while the ladies shopped, he could join you for lunch at Cheesecake Factory and pretend to admire your purchases.

Another thought on the other side of town, if he's "outdoorsy" is the complex south of the Airport that has the International Gamefish Association Museum, dedicated to fishing. I, as a female, found this not very exciting, but he might like it and right in the same complex is a giant Outdoor World Super Store which displays hunting, fishing, boating and camping gear of all sorts- lots of aquariums and displays and a big seafood restaurant- good hamburgers there as well. If you deposit him there , he might be able to fill up the better part of a day. Sorry things are so spread out around town- Lauderdale really is a city for cars!