We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fort Lauderdale to Orlando

Red Deer, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
13 reviews
Fort Lauderdale to Orlando

Hi, My family and I are going on a New Years cruise and would like to spend about 4 days in either Fort Lauderdale or Orlando as we are huge Disney fans.

We are not sure whether to fly in and out of FL or into FL and out of Orlando. Both options are available.

Can anyone tell me about the drive from FL to Orlando? How long is the drive, is it an easy drive?

We have been to Florida many times ( last time being July) and have never been anywhere other than Orlando and Tampa so it might be nice to see somewhere new.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
41,189 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: Fort Lauderdale to Orlando

It's 200 miles from FL to Orlando, so usually three and a half hours. The way to go is the Florida Turnpike, which is a toll road- though I don't know the total toll at this point. Will see if I can find out and repost. You really don't want to go I-95- it takes you too far east and mossst of the routes west from 95 into Orlando are lonely and narrow- except the BEe Line Expressway which is also a toll road and really further north in Orlando than you need to go if Disney is your destination ( Disney is actually in the southern end of Orlando in Kissimmee. The signs have usually been good and I can't imagine it being a problem finding your way if you decide to drive - whether you should is of course personal preference- depending on your tolerance for 3-4 hours on the road. I'll see if I can scope out the latest toll info for you.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
41,189 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: Fort Lauderdale to Orlando

Toll is approximately 15.70 each direction, depending which exit you need. Distance by their calculation from Cntral Lauderdale to Downtown Orlando is 207 miles.Actually if you are going to the Airport, the Bee Line Expressway does go right by Orlando Airport, runs east to west from I-95- which is not a toll road.. The Airport is in the eastern part of the city.

Red Deer, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Fort Lauderdale to Orlando

Thanks lulutoo for your excellent advice. You have been very helpful. It is good to know which roads to take and those to avoid. We will take your advice and avoid I 95. Thanks for the heads up about the tolls too.

I think we will drive to Disneyworld, spend four days there and then fly home out of Orlando.

Thanks again!