We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fort Lauderdale hotel in mid december

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
246 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Fort Lauderdale hotel in mid december

I need a really good hotel, on the beach, for 3 nights pre cruise. I don't want to be stuck with hotel restaurants, would I need to take a taxi or can one walk? Also to get to Sawgrass shopping I guess I would need to take a taxi, how much rouhgly would it be, and how would I get back, is there a taxi rank?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,987 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fort Lauderdale hotel in mid december

Sawgrass Mall is very far west in Lauderdale and the Taxi Fare would be quite steep!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,987 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fort Lauderdale hotel in mid december

If money is truly no object ( lucky you) the best beachfront hotels ( As a local I don't stay in them, but you can check reviews here) would be Harbor Beach Marriott, the Sheraton Yankee Trader or Yankee Clipper (sister hotels), the Atlantic , which is new ,and possibly the Doubletree Oceanfront ( not to be confused with other Doubletrees in town) All would have good restaurants in walking distance, the Harbor Beach Marriott perhaps a little less so , as it is more secluded. Honestly, for the price of a taxi ride to and from Sawgrass Mills, you might very likely be better off renting a modestly sized car for one day- that way you could also enjoy an off beach restaurant and make it your day to roam!. Be aware that certain times in December are especially busy- and therefore things are more expensive, including hotel rooms and rental cars as both are in short supply- for instance the Boat Parade/Winterfest weekend is usually early December- so if I were you I would check availability now and lock in a hotel room. If money is an object I will be happy to suggest a feew lower priced lesss lavish places to you!

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
246 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fort Lauderdale hotel in mid december

Thanks for that! I am still pondering!! Do you happen to know how near to Sawgrass (Crown Plaza Hotel) there are the following shops! American Eagle, Target, Walmart/K Mart. They are favourites as we haven't been for about three years! May well take cab straight from MIA to Sawgrass (any idea on cost??), stay there for 2 nights, then stay one night near the water prior to embarking on ship.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,987 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fort Lauderdale hotel in mid december

Taxi fare from Miami to Sawgrass Mall arae would probably run well over $100. It would be much more cost effective to rent a car- it would also be very costly to take a taxi from Sawgrass back from ther beach, so the best plan would probably be to see if the rental car place in Miami will allow you to return a car to FT. Lauderdale Airport- I believe Budget and several others would. Then the plan could be to rent the car in Miami, drive to Sawgrass Mills and stay one night and then drive the car back to Ft. Lauderdale Airport to return and take a taxi to a Beach area hotel. A Taxi from abeach totel back to the airport would not be too bad and a few hotels- but not many - have a shuttle.

Both a Super-Target and a Wal Mart are across the street from the Crowne Plaza- the K Mart there has closed. Not sure about American Eagle- but you can check the Sawgrass Mills website to see- The Walmart is actually not in the Mall itself but adjoins it- the Crowne Plaza has a shuttle that will take you to nearby places like the Wal-Mart if necessary, though it would be an easy walk.

I may be out at Sawgrass over the next week or so, so I'll scope it out one more time. The nearest K-Marts would be a bit out of the way- on Oakland Park Blvd or Sterling Rd that I can think of- but if you had a rental car, you could make the trek!

By the way, I don't work for the rental car industry, but taxi service in Lauderdale is pretty steep!

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
246 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fort Lauderdale hotel in mid december

Thank you so much for your prompt reply! I look forward to receiving any further information!

cleveland
Level Contributor
912 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fort Lauderdale hotel in mid december

If you choose Harbor Beach, you'll need a cab to visit elsewhere. That said, one of the restaurants -- 3030 -- surprised me. Exceeded hotel usual...using fresh, local, seasonal ingredients. The others, however, were bland and dismal. To us, not worth the price.

Virginia
Level Contributor
44 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fort Lauderdale hotel in mid december

I just came back from Florida and stayed at the Crowne Plaza Sawgrass. It was very nice and convenient especially if you want to go shopping at the Sawgrass Outlets. As others have said taking a cab from the beach west to Sawgrass would be incredibly costly. If you absolutely want to stay near the beach I would also suggest renting a car for the 3 days as it will likely cost you less than cabbing it, and be more convenient. Otherwise you may want to stay a day at the Crowne Plaza and then move to the beach.

Level Contributor
2,130 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fort Lauderdale hotel in mid december

I would have to agree that the Marriott Harbour Beach Resort is in the sand and pretty nice....well...excellent. Lago Mar is a bit furthur S also on the beach, but has very limited public transport access. (Marriott is 2 blocks from the Ft Laud water taxi....about $10.00 US for an unlimited 3 day pass.

Also next to the Marriott is the Sheraton Yankee Clipper and a Best Western. They are also across A1A from the www.watertaxi.com stop...near the fire station and the Jungle Queen.

The Doubletree is no longer, nor is the Radission...and current reviews of these two hotels is not too positive.

The Sheraton Yankee Clipper had specials on its website in May & June for $99 a nite, and $129 a nite (per room) for ocean view window walls. starwood has been instructed to refurb hotel ASAP....BUT if you don't expect 5 star, this is a nice beach front hotel, all mentioned above are less than 3 miles to the piers.

Some have a tour bus service to Sawgrass Mills. It is 25 Miles approx from the beachfront. take A1A S to just before airport (turn L on US Rt 1. Bear R onto 595 W to Sawgrass Expressway (will say toll), but exit onto Sunrise Blvd....(before toll), and stay in left lane. Follow signage to Sawgrass Mills,,,,a 3 mile walkathon in & outside....I would expect it might be better to go there after the trip.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,987 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fort Lauderdale hotel in mid december

Made a jaunt out to the Sawgrass Mall area and thought I would update your info. There is no American Eagle shop there. The closest one would be about 5 miles south and east at Broward Mall. This mall also has Macys, Sears, Pennys and Dillards- lots of shops, none of them "outlets" Sawgrass will have some new ultra- upscale outlets opening soon- not sure exactly when. the area will be called The Collanade and will have designer outlets. The sign syas Ivana Trump will do the ribbon cutting. If you have a car and decide to visit Broward Mall for the American Eagle shop, it is on University Drive at Broward Blvd. Getting to Sawgrass from there would entail exiting on the north side of the mall by making a left turn onto Broward Blvd. You would go west on Broward Blvd. about 5 miles or so and turn right ( north) on Flamingo Rd. Flamingo Rd. will take you to the east side of Sawgrass Mall, just north of Sunrise Blvd. The Wal-mart is just east of that on Sunrise Blvd. The Crowne Plaza is on Sunrise Blvd. right across from Sawgrass Mall. I don't get out that way often, but did almost all my Xmas shopping there a few days ago!

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
246 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fort Lauderdale hotel in mid december

Thank you for all your wonderful information. I shall have two nights at the CP, Sawgrass and need one night somewhere not too far from the port. Any suggestions?