We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip to bahamas

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
dublin ireland
Level Contributor
77 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
day trip to bahamas

hi myself(26) and my 30 yr old sister will be in fort lauderdale for a few days and would love to visit the bahamas for a day. i have read the nightmare reviews about the discovery cruise! are there any other options from ft lauderdale/west palm or anywhere along down as far as miami.? we will be traveling the coast by car for christmas. Cait wait!

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,709 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip to bahamas

How about visiting the Keys instead of the Bahama's? The water is just as beautiful and the people a lot more friendly. I think you would enjoy it more. Since you already have a car it's not that far of a drive.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,868 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip to bahamas

The Discovery is the only one I know of in the area- they advertise it in Miami as well but send folks up here to Port everglades to get on the boat. There used to be a hydrofoil or catamaran of some sort at Port of Palm Beach called Cloud X , but it has gone out of business.

I personally don't care for the Bahamas ( at least not Nassau or Freeport ) and last time we were on a cruise that stopped in Nassau we chose to stay on the ship. I find it full of hustlers and really felt totally annoyed by peddlars and hair braiders etc. and the like the entire time. The poverty is pretty depressing at least to me - so I guess the necessity to try and separate visitors from their money by any possible means is somewhat understandable.

So, I don't think there are any other boats except Imperial Majesty , which does an overnight trip and once again gets very mixed reviews. I would never suggest that to anyone I liked either. Just my opinion- maybe I've overlooked a possible boat trip- but I'm pretty sure not. Now that we have csinos on land , many of these boats have fallen on hard times,

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
7,959 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip to bahamas

This is a trip we considered years ago and decided against. From what I can understand, it is pretty much a waste of money and you don't get to see the touristy parts of the Bahamas in the 4 hours (I think) that you actually get to spend there. Many Bahamians do bulk shopping in Fort Lauderdale and use this boat as a ferry to take back their purchases. Another regular poster on this forum DaPotCake lives in the Bahamas and advises against using it, as he always gives an honest opinion , I would take his advice.

The suggestion of the Keys is a good one. Key West is a good place to visit and the drive never bores us, there is just so much to see on the way down. If you are looking for a fun time Key West is the place.

dublin ireland
Level Contributor
77 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip to bahamas

Thanks for all the advice, i think the best thing to do is give it a miss. we have now decided after christmass to head down to key west. thanks again.

Grand Bahama Island
Level Contributor
528 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trip to bahamas

Well, I am from Freeport and my advice would be to SKIP THE DAYTRIP. Stay far away from the Discovery, run away while you can. If you want to go to Grand Bahama, I would fly and stay a couple of days, rent a car and see the island, much nicer then the tourist hell that you would be confined to on your 'day trip' .

Bahamasair is cheap but onreliable. I'd say fly with Spirit, Continental or american airlines. (american eagle)

Other than that, I went to the Keys last year and it reminded me so much of Abaco (another island here).

We all loved it and want to go back there. I agree with the other posters that the Keys have that same laid back atmosphere and bahamas-ey feeling.

And there's much more to do on your drive down the Keys.

...The beaches arent that pretty though, I have to put a plug in here for Grand Bahama ;)

6. Re: day trip to bahamas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:22 am, October 09, 2009