We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 hours - Thurs. afternoon

CT
1 post
Save Topic
2 hours - Thurs. afternoon

[apologize if this gets posted twice...I just registered and didn't see my post come up anywhere]

My husband and I are vacationing in Key West next month, flying into Ft. Lauderdale and renting a car for the drive down. Before our flight back home, leaving Ft. L at 6:45 on a Thursday evening, I was hoping to take a few hours to briefly see the city. I love the idea of a quick lunch and water tour past the mansions...any recommendations? It will be mid-afternoon. Should we actually try to find a tour or just do a water bus ride? We'll need to return to our rental car before heading to the airport, so getting back to the same point is important.

And what might we expect in terms of traffic and airport delays late afternoon on a Thursday?

Also, on the first day of our vaca, we'd like to swing by the beaches on our way toward the Keys. What's a good route to take from the airport?

Thanks for any advice. Please email me - missmbm@aol.com.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 hours - Thurs. afternoon

Actually, if you want to 'swing by' Ft. Lauderdale Beach, you will actually be heading northeast - not south - from Ft. Lauderdale Internat'l Airport....

If you want to 'swing by' the beaches going south, exit the FL airport and take U.S. Route 1 south to Dania Beach Blvd. Turn left onto Dania Bch Blvd. and then right on A1A to head south along A1A...all the way to Miami's South Beach if you want....

You can get back to I-95 at various points and I-95 signs on A1A will indicate when to turn.

Here's the 'downside' - going south on A1A then back over to I-95 ithen 95 soouth to Rt 1 s not the best way to get to the Keys.

The best route to the Keys is via the Florida Turnpike which can be reached from I-95 via the Dolphin Expressway (836 west) to the Palmetto Exprswy south (826 south) to the Don Shula Exprswy (874 south) that connects with the FL Tpke.

Head south for your "Cheesburgers in Paradise"

Don't know what time you plan on getting back to Ft. Lauderdale for your flight - assume in time for lunch. Traffic shouldn't be bad if you stay fairly local.

Here are some useful Fort Lauderdale web sites to help you decide what to do:

www.sunny.org

www.greatlocations.com

www.watertaxi.com

www.lasolasboulevard.com

Enjoy your trip!