We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this a legitimate website

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Is this a legitimate website

Hello all

My son's school has a travel fundraiser. I searched for a hotel and it took me to a website called ytb travel... I have heard alot of negative info on them...anyone used them and had success. Thanks!!!!

Level Contributor
2,130 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this a legitimate website

Put this into your browsers search engine and enjoy the information.

I wouldn't do a thing with them:

ytb travel scam

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this a legitimate website

Thanks for the speedy response. I can find all kinds of info about it being a card mill, pyramid scam...etc. What I can't find is if I book a room through them, is it going to be reserved and paid for when I get there...has anyone used them?

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this a legitimate website

Also found same price at hotel 411.com...any feedback? Thanks so much!!!

Level Contributor
2,130 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this a legitimate website

One day on the tug site, someone asked about a similiar MLM company...called Global Resorts Network.

We checked the company pretty deeply.....as many there (on tug) are pretty super internet savy.

We found the company where they get their listings from. One of the people who invested so they could try to sell let out the search information.

I gave a quick search of places I knew were still closed due to wind damage, but they were listed to rent from them.

I'll name two. One was the Wyndham Santa Barbara ( Check TA under Pompano Beach...it is still closed).

The other was the Hollywood Sands Resort ( Also still closed, but listed as a rental posibility on their site.

After I read your post, I figured I'd check the Global Resorts Network lists again, as they were informed of resorts that were not open were showing on their lists. They were still there. They were informed ( I think) about 3 or 4 months ago, but that doesn;t seem to be where thier interest is.

I also checked on the CEO of the company you just mentioned. He started at another MLM company called Primerica.....you probably heard of it. His son is anxious to sign on anyone willing to pay....as all above them get a % of the money the newbie PAYS and brings in.

About those lists, most of the resorts I noted were either timeshare or fractional ownership resorts, also kisted on the RCI and II sites open for free by affinity groups. ~They go for about $329.00 a week per unit, usually up to 6 or 8 in a 2 bed 2 bath condo.

Of course, if you are a member of II or RCI, you will get the weeks even for less.

How about a Thanksgiving week in the Wyndham in Atlantic City for $197 sleep 6 2 bed 2 bath parking extra ( Thats per unit)

Can you local travel agent iin your town get the same deals? Yes, and will be quite easy to make sure they are licensed to be a travel agent...it gives you some protection.

If you need an apartment rental, I no longer advise VRBO, as I see to many problems on the TA site with the people who rent, and lie about what is offered. I now advise them to go to www.realtor.com and find a REALTOR to rent from. Then the person renting has some recourse.... a Realtor like Century 21, ERA, Prudential, or even a local firm, as they are working for you and the person renting the unit.

Reading stuff here will make most cynical. I have become cynical. I don't seem to trust many.

Maybe someone else might have some better info. I just can't help my distrust for a MLM company. ( And my friends work for Tupperwear, too!)

If you want websites, I'll post.

BTW what hotel did you look at?

If anyone in your family is a vet or a gov worker, or retired, look here under space A:

www.getravelop.com

www.afvclub.com

www.veteransholidays.com

www.govarm.com ( Where the Marriotts and Hyatts might be)

Most college alumni also are given a site like those above from RCI

General Public www.condodirect.com ( Part of the TA family)

I forgot the RCI public site.

Fort Lauderdale, FL...
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this a legitimate website

You can use a site like hotel411 to check for hotel availabity for your dates. I prefer kayak.com Then I also go directly to the hotels website to make a reservation. Most hotels guarantee that they have the lowest internet rate. If you find one that doesn't just call them and say that you have seen a lower rate elsewhere and they will probably match it. If you are looking at a large hotel chain it sometimes pays to call directly the hotel you are interested in reserving.

Make sure you check the reviews on Trip Advisor before making your reservation.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
41,135 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this a legitimate website

I, like Pat , prefer to book any hotel directly with the hotel, asking them to match any internet rate I find- and usually they do or pretty close. I'm confused by the post you made I guess- how is this a "school fundraiser?' Are you being asked to book travel through a specific website with a commisiion going to the school? That's a new one on me.. but I certainly wouldn't expect to get any bargains if that is the case- as a profit for both the school and the booking site would be built in somewhere. I'd rather give my own donation to the school and book my own travel where I please , personally. It just doesn't seem woth dealing with websites of questionable reputation. That's a new one on me, so maybe I just don't understand the "fundraiser" part of your post.

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this a legitimate website

Lulu, I'm confused with the fundraiser part too. I don't see the connection. But then my crystal ball was never that good. LOL.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this a legitimate website

The link for the website is through our Catholic Diocese website and it says that a portion of the commission goes to the school. The savings are pretty substantial...about $70 a day! Thanks for all of the help!!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
41,135 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this a legitimate website

I really have to continue to wonder about this- YTB is a "pyramiding company" that , apparently for $49.95 will set you up in the travel business. Then these so called "travel agents" recruit others to pay the same and apparently make money from selling the "set up " to others - rather than selling any substantial amount of travel. If you Google "YTB Travel scam" you'll find countless posts about them as well as the typical written in protestations from YTB "members "who say " but I'm making a fortune working from my home." I've had no personal experience.but the thing sounds pretty shady to me. I think it's one of the MLM schemes ( where new joiners have to bring in others to make money and the folks on beginning of the pyramid make the most. by taking a cut from all of them. It sems like something very dicey for any school, even a private one , to be connected with for any reason. Is one of your school parents a "YTB Agent" by chance?

10. Re: Is this a legitimate website

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, September 11, 2009