We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what hotel for a single mature woman?

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South Florida...
Level Contributor
143 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
what hotel for a single mature woman?

I am going to FLL soon for a weekend, and I would like to stay in a hotel where I could meet other singles (the purpose is not exchange or whatever), not expensive, and perferably 9but not necessary) on the beach.

I have read here the St Trpoez resort... Anyone knows about it, or has a better idea?

I recently stayed at the Ramada Hollywood Beach Resort, the service is bad, nothing works properly in the rooms, and I paid a fortune. And it is much too big.

Thank you very much

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,987 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what hotel for a single mature woman?

I'd stay at the other end of the Beach- looking at Best Western Oceanside- it should be reasonable and is right across the street from the Bahia Cabana Days Inn, where you don't want to stay, but where many locals gather for happy hour- the Wreck Bar at The next door Yankee Clipper is a nice spot too. St. Tropez is on the other end, next door to a deserted hotel ( Howard Johnson) that has just been approved to be demolished and rebuilt- I don't know when that will start , but I can think of nothing in that area that makes it a desirable choice for you.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
143 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what hotel for a single mature woman?

Thanks for your answer. I went to check on it, it seems nice, but far too expensive. I understand your point of view though and appreciate it. Would you know some others in the same area "where I would like to stay", but not more than $60 or 70?

What about Princess Ann or Tropi Rock... I have no idea where they are located.

Thanks again

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,987 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what hotel for a single mature woman?

I would say no to Princess Ann- many unhappy guests re cleanliness- on this site and others:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34227-d623950-…

TropiRock is ok for cleanliness etc., but really not in the best location for someone alone looking to socialize in the evenings in my opinion- rather a lonely walk. If you were part of a group I'd feel better about it.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
143 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what hotel for a single mature woman?

Well... I had picked the St Tropez because it was #1 rated for singles in Trip Advisor....

Could you then suggest me something (no need to be luxurious) in my budget in the area you suggest? I spent many hours, but of course, they don't rate themself bad!

I have seen Gigi Beach, Bahia Beach (looks bad), birch Patio, Premiere, Sea Gate and many others.

I would really appreciate your help

Thanks a lot

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,987 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what hotel for a single mature woman?

Let's let this one sit for a while and see who else has a suggestion- because frankly , none of the choices you mention sound good to me ( including St. Tropez) - maybe some other locals have a better idea. TropiRock is definitely ok from cleanliness standpoint. I also wonder if you would better define "mature" for us- do you mean fairly young, but mature in behavior or older in age?

I honestly can't put much credence in those "recommended for singles" rankings. I don't think many singles would find St Tropez exciting at all. But let's see what others think. Unfortunately , at the budget you suggest, it would be difficult to find a room that s not at least shabby- which may be ok with you, but many , unfortunately can be moldy, dirty or buggy- or possibly used by a lot of "transients" rather than tourists who may be a bit unsavory. I don't know any other way to say it- Ft. Lauderdale is a somewhat expensive market, even in the off season and if you are a woman alone I don't want you in an "iffy" situation. Tropi Rock is a bit shabby in places, but clean, and you would be safe there- just can't say there's much social life to be had.

Fort Lauderdale, FL...
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: what hotel for a single mature woman?

St. Tropez only has 17 rooms. It is doubtful that you would be able to socialize there. I read the reviews quickly and didn't notice any from singles. Mostly from couples.

I think your budget is too low. You may want to try Priceline. If you have never tried Priceline look at biddingfortravel.com or betterbidding.com to get good bidding stratagies.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
7,971 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what hotel for a single mature woman?

Looking at this from a tourist's point of view. Fort Lauderdale is becomming a very upscale resort and I would say is geared more towards families and couples than the singles scene. Sure there will be single people there on vacation and single people who live there, but I doubt you will meet may of the "right kind" of single people in the motels which are within your budget. You mention the Birch Patio, which incidentally is part of the Napoli Belmar "complex". This as far as I can see markets itself as a family/couples motel, and is not very far away from the Tropi Rock, which as Lulu has pointed out is a bit of a lonely walk away from the action at the centre of the beach. You could of course walk the other way past Bonnet House to McSorleys and the Parrot Lounge - quite a lively bars, and I'm sure a safe walk but pretty lonely walk on your own.

Have you considered a hostel based vacation on Miami Beach, you would be far more likely to meet single people like yourself who are looking to meet other people.

Alternatively you could investigate where the Fort Lauderdale singles scene is and look for accomodation around that area.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
143 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what hotel for a single mature woman?

Hi,

I had not received any email so I didn't know there were so many replies. Thanks to you all.

To answer Lulu, I go there for my 64th birthday arrrggg.....!!!! And, yes, I am alone.

I tried Priceline, but for what I saw, they are more expensive than other sites. I didn't try a bid. I am going to try the ones you suggest. I wanted to book in Fll, because I fly there, it is cheaper than fly to Miami.

It seems that many "single" hotels are for gay guys......

Still looking, but I will take all your suggestions into consideration.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
7,971 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what hotel for a single mature woman?

Now you have told us your age and the purpose of your visit obviously my idea of a hostel in Miami is not suitable. You have mentioned The Premier, which seems to get good reviews - it might be the answer. I remember passing it, it did look a bit old and tired but nowhere near as bad as the Bahia Cabana. It is close to the beach, but I doubt it has much of a singles scene.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
7,971 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what hotel for a single mature woman?

Now you have told us your age and the purpose of your visit obviously my idea of a hostel in Miami is not suitable. You have mentioned The Premier, which seems to get good reviews - it might be the answer. I remember passing it, it did look a bit old and tired but nowhere near as bad as the Bahia Cabana. It is close to the beach, but I doubt it has much of a singles scene.