We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Majesty Cruise Ship

ohio
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Majesty Cruise Ship

Is it as bad as all the reviews said with the exception of one person?

If so, how can me and my husband get our money back, if we denied the insurance plan?

Is there an alternative to getting over to the Bahamas than the Majesty Cruise Chip? With what we paid for the Majesty I've searching in hopes to find a real cruise ship that left Ft. Lauderdale for a couple hundred dollars more to cruise to Nasauu.

I have already been reading reviews about bed bugs in the resorts in Ft. Lauderdale. I would hate to have the resort, cruise ship, and weather spoil our vacation/anniversary

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,240 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Majesty Cruise Ship

There really is not a significant bed bug problem here in Ft. Lauderdale- I don't know where you're getting that impression- but if you bought a Ramada Plaza vacation package staying at the Ramada Inn , you likely will encounter a variety of insect pests- likely in the bathroom more than the bed -along with a moldy bathroom -in what is really a very poor hotel- it is not a nice hotel and the cruise ship they package with it is indeed the bottom of the barrel locally in my opinion- and as the reviews you have read describe. The nice cruises are those offered by cruise lines like Royal Carribean , Celebrity, NCL , Carnival ( which I think only leaves from Miami)among others . All of these obviously cost more for clean staterooms. appealing food and well trained polite crew- none of which are found on the Majesty. The other "bargain " cruise line Discovery is no better than the Majesty. I certainly have no advice for you about "getting out of" a trip you booked. It's just a shame you didn't research before booking it.

ohio
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Majesty Cruise Ship

No I am not talking about the Ramanda. But that is good info to know.

No, there is another resort that we will be staying at for a week coming this Friday. I spoke with the resort and they stated that the problem has been taken care of that the bed bugs was brought in by visitors and was not cause by their estabishment, but nevertheless it has been dealt with. I surely hope so. Because there has been an epidemic of bed bugs in the United States in the pass 2-3 months and it has become a serious problem. I feel awful just talking about it. (Actually, I read about this on another review collumn.)

As far as doing my homework on the Majesty Cruise ship, I did from two other websites, and the reviews where positive especially for the price. If would have seen your reviews and you being a local...I would have taken your advice.

You are correct about the other cuise ships and I just posted a review about cruise ships. I should have went with my first mind instead of being frugal.

Thanks to everyone who expressed their experiences.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,240 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Majesty Cruise Ship

Well, I can only hope you haven't booked the Sea Club or the Red Carpet Inn , which both made TA's 10 dirtiest US Hotels ( and deserved it). There are some hotels here with cleanliness problems as I guess there are in any city, but hopefully you have chosen a nice spot. Since you didn't mention the resort by name, I certainly can't say.

I have to say I don't care much for the Bahamas, so I would never be tempted to take a cruise there- lots of "hustlers" hitting up tourists at every turn- peopel speak of being squashed 8 or 9 in a taxi and then ripped off by the fare- so be careful- we didn't even get off our cruise ship in Nassau- though we did in St. Thomas and St. Maarten, which were a great deal nicer. I hope you have the best trip possible- I guess if all else fails you can spend lots of time at the bar!

ohio
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Majesty Cruise Ship

You are funny!!!!

Tell me where is this fleamarket or swampmeat? You can I know what I am talking about..can't you? But I have to go there after reading laging1 responses she makes it sound like heaven. Also where is the Cheesecake Factory and Ross Dept. store?

The place where we will be staying is the- Vacation Village of Bonaventure. Which they have assured me that is bed bug free and that it was in only one of their bldgs.

My husband and I will also being driving to Miami for a day. Do you have any suggestions?

I am so glad I found your site you all are so informative. I should be packing for the trip but I can't seem to get away from the computer ...I keep saying one more review and it leads to reading more reviews. After you respond to this one. I am done for the night. I love it.

Betty

ohio
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Majesty Cruise Ship

Sorry

It should have read: you can tell that I don't know what I am talking about. ( I was trying to be funny) I am tired, exhausted and somewhat excited about this trip. But it is time to start packing. Talk to you later and can't wait to hear your suggestions for Miami and the directions to the other places I asked you about, especially coming from Vacation Village of Bonaventure.

Thanks

Grand Bahama Island
Level Contributor
528 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Majesty Cruise Ship

LOL @ the swampmeat, I think you mean the swapshop!

Do they still have the circus? I thought I read in the herald that the family that runned it called it quits

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,240 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Majesty Cruise Ship

The SwapShap is a large mainly outdoor Flea Market on Sunrise Blvd- west of I-95 and east of State Rd 7 ( aka 441) . I don't know why so many of our main roads have 2 different names..

The Circus is no longer there- there used to be a small circus with some animal acts ( elephants etc). You get different versions of why they are gone- one version is that animal rights activists brought pressure because the animals were not well treated. Another is that the owner of the Swap Shop( who, although he is a multimillionaire is odd to put it mildly) locked them out- and I think there are a few other versions of the tale as well. At any rate , some folks love the place for bargains- I'm not a big fan except sometimes for potted plants and fresh produce, but it is a major tourist draw here.

Vacation Village is lovely- quite west of town etc, but very popular especially with British tourists.

I'm going to have to look back at the last few posts for other questions you had and will see if I can answer any of them.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,240 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Majesty Cruise Ship

There are two Cheesecake Factories(YUM!). The closest to Vacation Village would be at Sawgrass Mills Outlet Mall at Sunrise Blvd and 136 Avenue. That is a a mammouth outlet mall that is where I prefer to shop- all indoors and shops not stalls. Hundreds of shops, some very upscale like Coach and Burburry etc. The other Cheesecake Factory is quite far east on Las Olas Blvd, sort of our major tourist street of restaurants and little boutique type shops. The Cheesecake Factory there is right next to the Riverside Hotel.

Honestly I almost never go to Miami- everything I need is here- closest I get is Aventura Mall ( where it happens there is also a Cheesecake Factory) It is in North Miami and has a few shops we don't- like Bloomingdales.Some folks like to go to South Beach- very trendy , but I have found parking impossible and most of the restaurants very expensive and overerated. I suppose it also depends on your age group- I'm way beyond hip hop music and admiring model wannabes- that's all I can say. I'm sure others on the Forum could advise you better, though I must say most of us in this area seem quite content to stay away from Miami , from reading other posts from the locals.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,240 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Majesty Cruise Ship

Oh, and there are Ross Stores all over the place- I always confuse them with Marshalls and TJ Maxx , which are everywhere too- so I can't say for sure which is closest to you. I know thereare a few along University Drive , which would not be too far- can't recall if there is one at Sawgrass, but there is a big Marshalls there. Most tourists who like to shop easily spend a day at Sawgrass Outlet Mall - and many of our British posters buy extra luggage to haul home the bargains- what with the exchange rate.

ohio
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Majesty Cruise Ship

Thanks. I see that I will have a lot to do there while we are visiting your city. If we decide to go to Miami can anyone tell me if there is a tram/rail system that goes from Ft. Lauderale into Miami? I heard you loud and clear that Miami does not fit your life style nor taste and that's OK. I want to be able to hit the spots that I heard about especially being so close to your area. I love history and exhibits and would love to see the million homes. I will have to go back through some of the other messages to see if there are some other ideas from the members of the forum.

Did you have any comments about the Village of Bonaventure?

Interested in your or anyone elses feedback.