We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bonnet House Monkeys

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,241 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Bonnet House Monkeys

Lulu I just read your reply to the post about Pre Cruise Honeymoon Hotel on the beach and seafood reccomendations and you say

that you have never seen a Monkey at Bonnet House. Now the Cocobelle which we have booked and backs onto Bonnet House says on their web site that they get visits from the little creatures. So shall I sue them for false advertising or spend the money I'm going to save on bananas at Sawgrass Mills LOL ;-)

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,330 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bonnet House Monkeys

Oh Sue, I'm sure the critters are there all right, but they have never shown their faces on any of the times I've been at Bonnet House. I did however see one of them at Birch State Park when we were picnicking there and it attempted to swipe some of our food- so I am quite sure that food offerings are what it's all about . If I had toured Bonnet House coated in peanut butter they would surely have greated me. So, be sure to arm both yourself and Mr. Wick with foodstuffs that they would like and I suspect the critters will become your dearest friends!

Actually Birch State Park had a major problem a few years ago because people started bringing snacks to the raccoons who live all over Birch State Park, They got so accustomed to the feast that there would be literally hundreds of raccoons out at the park entrance at sunset waiting for their Happy Hour. They finally had to post signs and enforce a no feeding rule there- it got way out of hand. I am sure the monkeys exist- they just don't waste time greeting anyone who arrives without snacks!

Because of our climate, we have any number of exotic creatures around town- some who have escaped from their owners and are now surviving in the wild. When we had a small house , we heard a noise and looked up to see a GIANT iguana completely covering our screen door. He lived happily on our front porch for a few days eating lettuce we provided , but finally disappeared. It made the news when they puled a giant boa constrictor out of someone's crawl space after a neighborhood had problems with small dogs in their area disappearing. It apparently lived under someone's house for a long time without them knowing. Do keep your eyes pealed , you may see something exotic at any time- of course I'm not talking about the kind of vermin that apparently make a home at the Avalon!!

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,241 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bonnet House Monkeys

Just out of interest is Bonnet House worth a look around? I understand from what I have read that it was owned by people who were either artists or interested in unusual works of art and the building reflects that. We quite like the unusual and my husband is a commercial artist by trade (although that is not what he does now) so do you think we might enjoy it?

Incidentally on our last visit we had a look around the shop on Las Olas you mentioned "Seldom Seen" it was great if I had had the money I would have spent a fortune. So many nice unusual things. It was so funny one of the salesmen asked us where we were from so we said England and he replied "Oh there is another couple in the store right now who are from England perhaps you know them" and we could tell he really meant it - like the whole of England is a little village with about 50 people in it.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,330 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bonnet House Monkeys

Yes, if you enjoyed Seldom Seen ( I knew I liked you, now I'm sure!!) I think you would definitely enjoy all the offbeat decor of Bonnet House. It is not what many expect of a "grand home" but definitely a grand home owned by artists with eclectic tastes!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,330 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bonnet House Monkeys

If you need one more "offbeat " shop to poke around in, you could try Jezebel, which is at Gateway, where Sunrise Bvd and Federal join- look for Big Louie's Pizza and Heart Rock Sushi as landmarks- it's right in that strip of shops- some of it is vintage /offbeat clothing , but a little of everything- their website is:

http://www.nonewstuff.com/

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,330 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bonnet House Monkeys

Sue- in case you didn't see it in my response to another poster, the Cafe Bluefish has just e-mailed out that they plan to open for breakfast Sun-Wed for now and hopefully 7 days a week in the future. Isn't that good news!!

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,241 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bonnet House Monkeys

Briliant news, however it might take some business off Primantis. I have only ever had coffee in Primantis but my husband had a breakfast and said and I must admit it looked excellent . It was just eggs, hash browns and bacon/sausage from memory however he enjoyed it. Last time we were in the Bluefish the owner was telling the bartender that the only reason that one couple had eaten there was because of a Trip Advisor recommendation. I chipped in on the conversation and said the first person who placed a recommendation was me! but I think he thought that I was looking for a free drink or meal so I didn't bother continuing the discussion. I did notice though the Bluefish closes their kitchen if trade is slow so I would not regard them as dependable timewise. They also close if there is a shortage of drinkers - The Parrot seems to stay open until the last drinker falls off their chair regardless. Can't wait until October!!!

7. Re: Bonnet House Monkeys

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:25 am, September 02, 2009