We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fort Lauderdale vs Hollywood Beach

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
29 reviews
Fort Lauderdale vs Hollywood Beach

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to read this post. We're a family of 5 (children will be 15, 11, 9 when travelling) and trying to decide whether to stay in FLL or HB for 4 nights after our cruise. We would be visiting mid August.

I've obviously been doing research but I'm still at a loss at to which one would suit us best.

Basically, we're looking for somewhere that has nice hotels (nice pool and beachfront) and then has some nice bars and restaurants with a bit of buzz for the evening, perhaps some beach bars with some live music, that sort of thing - nothing too crazy, we obviously don't want rowdy bars and nightclubs (but we do want places that have a nice atmosphere and aren't super quiet).

We won't have a hire car and want somewhere where we can get around on foot easily (but not too much walking).

Any help with what you thing will suit us best? Both places look lovely, what I can't get from reading about them is the general feel of both places, any help would be so much appreciated!! Part of me is leaning towards the Margaritaville but I'm not sure whether this will be within our budget.

Thanks

8 replies to this topic
Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
688 posts
35 reviews
1. Re: Fort Lauderdale vs Hollywood Beach

Margaritaville Resort is fantastic! Love it there but it is spendy! If you can swing it would be my first choice.

Otherwise take a look at Courtyard Marriott in Fort Lauderdale. Great, resort-ish hotel within walking distance to fun beach bars and great restaurants. More upscale, Hilton FLL Beach, Westin, Ritz Carlton, or W Hotel.

Steak 954, S3, Casablanco, Lulu's, Coconuts, Spazio are some of my favorites.

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
96 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Fort Lauderdale vs Hollywood Beach

Ive stayed in both ft lauderdale and Hollywood. Lauderdale has by far more dining and nightlife than Hollywood

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
29 reviews
3. Re: Fort Lauderdale vs Hollywood Beach

Thanks for your replies. I spent some time last night looking on You Tube trying to get a feel for these places - after watching some videos on Hollywood and Margaritaville I’m not sure it’s for us - just my opinion so don’t shoot me but MV looked incredibly packed and the whole vibe I got was a bit “tacky” - sorry Just my perception from what I saw. Now leaning towards FLL or Lauderdale by the sea. Can anyone recommend family hotels in FLL that are close to bars and restaurants, we do want beachfront with a large pool? (Marriott, although looks lovely, the pool is too small).

I did like the look of the Pelican but it seems really out of the way? Are there any bars or restaurants nearby? I can get a great rate there at the mo for a lovely ocean front room - as a compromise we don’t mind ubering into town of a night but if we stayed there we would want to pop out for lunch etc.

Otherwise anything similar more central?

Re LBTS - similar question although it does seem as though everything is in the same place and less spread out?

Thanks so much!

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
157 reviews
4. Re: Fort Lauderdale vs Hollywood Beach

Best pools and directly on the beach are Lago Mar and Marriott Harbor Beach. Lago Mar has a lot of 1 BR suites which are nice for families. The Pelican will be undergoing renovation soon, and the beach is not as nice there as it is at Lago Mar and Marriott, The pool is on the smaller side.

If you don’t mind being across the street from the beach, Hilton Beach has really nice 1BR suites as well as regular hotel rooms.

Kent
Level Contributor
7,457 posts
80 reviews
5. Re: Fort Lauderdale vs Hollywood Beach

Lauderdale by the sea is small and walkable and you don’t need a car, there are lots of places on the beach or a very small road back from the beach, look at places near angling pier, that’s wheee the bars and restaurants are, most with live music a few times a week and a handful of shops, look at plunge beach hotel which is a 7 minute walk or driftwood beaxh resort but that has a 4 night minimum, high noon, or any near these places would be good

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
29 reviews
6. Re: Fort Lauderdale vs Hollywood Beach

Thank you so much for your replies, very very helpful! We’re now leaning towards Lago Mar, seems to tick most boxes, particularly as they do very large suites - it’s a hotel we hadn’t even considered.

Thanks again!

Boston...
Level Contributor
33 posts
95 reviews
7. Re: Fort Lauderdale vs Hollywood Beach

I've done Lago Mar and Margaritaville. Both were great. The upside to Lago Mar is the beach and pools and you don't have to leave. In terms of a night life, there really wasn't one. The resort is kind of isolated and backed into a neighborhood. I think the idea is they don't want you to leave. If you don't mind taking a taxi you may be able to get someplace, but even for us to find a coffee spot we had to walk about 1/2 mile to the gas station.

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
157 reviews
8. Re: Fort Lauderdale vs Hollywood Beach

Lago Mar is just a short cab or Uber ride away from the main beach area. We’ve walked it as well, but the shortest distance is to walk along the beach, past Marriott Harbor Beach . You could also cut through the Marriott and a short distance from there is a water taxi stop. Lago Mar is very close to Marriott, but the way the canals are situated, the streets curve and wind around, making walking along the street much further.

Reply to: Fort Lauderdale vs Hollywood Beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted