We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Depressing price hike!!!!

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,010 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Depressing price hike!!!!

I have just checked on Expedia for flight prices to FL 6th October - 20th and could not believe my eyes. The screen said £463 so I hit select and the price went to £1310 each. In complete shock I changed airports to Miami and got the same deal! I then logged on to sunny.org to see if anything was going on in FL for these dates which would warrant the ridiculous price hike and apart from the boat show at the end of the month there does not appear to be anything of popular appeal happening. I also tried Best Western's web site for the Best Western Oceanside all rooms sold. E bookers have no flights for these dates so what's happening that I don't know about?

Fort Lauderdale, FL...
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Depressing price hike!!!!

Hi Sue:

I have no idea what could be happening. I thought maybe a very large convention but when I looked it didn't appear to be so. Maybe Lulutoo will know when she gets back from her trip, tomorrow I think.

Keep checking the airfares as they change quite frequently.

I hope you get this sorted out and are able to visit Fort Lauderdale again soon.

England-Grew up...
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Depressing price hike!!!!

Sue,

Thats around the time I go on my first winter vacation to Miami and I always pay between 300-350 GBP. Its way too early to think about booking and getting a good price at this time, I would leave it until later in the summer if I were you!

Have you signed up to the offers from AA, BA and Virgin - I get all 3 (only 3 with non-stop flights to Miami from London). Problem is the offers wont come into your inbox for that time until late summer.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,010 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Depressing price hike!!!!

Thanks for the good advice Nick. We always avoid direct flight to Miami as the one and only time we did it it took 3 1/2 hours to get through imigration. Presumably you have'nt had that sort of experience.

England-Grew up...
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Depressing price hike!!!!

Heya Sue,

Miami is in my experience the worst airport in the world for immigration so I dont blame you at all!

Tip for Miami immigration - the earlier in the day you land the better for obvious reasons. Hence the 9.20 Virgin/Heathrow (previously 11'something) flight to Miami is now the earliest and best flight in my humble opinion - second best is the 945 AA flight into Miami.

Also.........AA have a second flight on sat/sundays and it takes off at 8.30'ish in the morning to Miami - this is the flight I took a couple months ago and the immigration hall was empty (no exageration - NEVER seen it like that). Saying that, this flight was empty so it wouldn't surprise me if AA cancelled this second LON-MIA flight - apparently they set it up mainly for connecting flights to the Carribean.

Nick

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,010 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Depressing price hike!!!!

Hi Nick

Following your advice I have registered with American, Continental and Virgin for special offers. Virgin don't fly from Manchester to either Miami or FL only Orlando but if the price was right that would be no problem. We could book one night in Orlando and then drive down to FL the next day. I think I will also have a look at US and United as well and see if they have a sign up for special offers thingy.

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Depressing price hike!!!!

Many Brits fly into the other airport near Orlando called Sanford. Don't know which airlines use it though. You might want to check into it. Sanford airport is a much smaller airport that the one in Ft. Lauderdale so it should be easier coming into it.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,010 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Depressing price hike!!!!

Sandford is the destination for charter flights from the UK they are full of screaming kids so we dodge that one too. Ideally we like to clear immigration elsewhere than Florida because it always seems to be quicker. Also it breaks up the journey. Even if there is a couple of hours between connecting flights it's quite nice to have some wings and a sandwich washed down with a glass of Bud at an airport bar thinking weehee the vacation has started (childish really for a middle aged couple) ;-)

England-Grew up...
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Depressing price hike!!!!

Sue,

I am ever so sorry - I didnt realise you flew from Manchester, if you had already said that then my apologies for not reading your posts in more detail!!!

Great idea - sign up to all of them :)

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,010 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Depressing price hike!!!!

Nick

You have absolutely nothing to apologise for, you gave me some great advice. I think I have signed up for price alerts with most of the major airlines now.

Thanks again.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,010 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Depressing price hike!!!!

Nick

You have absolutely nothing to apologise for, you gave me some great advice. I think I have signed up for price alerts with most of the major airlines now.

Thanks again.