We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pelican Beach or Lago Mar

new england
1 post
Save Topic
Pelican Beach or Lago Mar

Pelican Beach has gotten consistent good reviews while Lago Mar has quite mixed reviews. However, Lago Mar looks very nice with it's tropical setting and lagoon pool. Any advicefor a family traveling with teens?

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pelican Beach or Lago Mar

First, I want to compliment you on first doing some initial research before posting your questions.

I go to Ft. Lauderdale on business every other week on the average and am familiar with the locations of both, however, I haven't stayed in either and can only comment on their locations.

Lago Mar is a lot closer to Beach Place and the surrounding blocks of restaurants across from Ft. Lauderdale Beach. Just a little farther up Ocean Ave., it's also in easy access to trendy Las Olas Blvd with its many fine restaurants and shops. So, at Lago Mar, you're closer than to these 'attractions', for lack of better terms, than you would be at Pelican Beach.

However, Pelican Beach is a magnificent facility that, frankly, I'd prefer because of the consistent good reviews. The previously mentioned places are not that far away, assuming you all have a car.

I guess one of the questions you should answer is just how much time will you be spending at whatever resort you choose? Others include "How much will you and your family be out-and-about exploring the area? And, there's the prices of each.

I offer the above as just my thoughts having been in the area many times over the years.

For additional information on Ft. Lauderdale, check out:

www.greatlocations.com

I hoe this has been of some help. Good luck!

Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
25 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pelican Beach or Lago Mar

Pelican Beach and the Lago Mar will be great for a family vacation. You cannot go wrong. Lago Mar is an upscale property on the south end of Fort Lauderdale beach. There's a spa, life-size chess game outside, children's arcade, and mini golf.

The Pelican Beach is literally brand new, since the former hotel was torn down and completely rebuilt. It has gotten stellar reviews since it opened in January. It's on the north end of the beach and has cute cottagey looking rooms. There's an old-fashioned ice cream parlour, lazy river ride and is also directly on the beach.

Tough call, but take comfort in the fact that there is no wrong decision with these two properties.

Enjoy your stay!

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pelican Beach or Lago Mar

Personally,

My family has been taking me to Lago Mar since I was in junior high, and I always loved it because there were so many other kids around. In fact, many families go there year after year, and I usually saw the same group of kids every year. I always met people my own age, and there are lots of things to do around the complex. Its off A1A, but within walking distance of Beach Place - so if they get bored, they can walk with a group to go to the beachy/junk shops for magazines and ice cream.

Its always a high caliber of people staying at Lago Mar, and my parents always felt safe letting me wander around the complex on my own.

Glenview, IL
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pelican Beach or Lago Mar

Re: Lago Mar

My wife and I have stayed here three times in the past ten years and enjoyed it immensely each time. It is fairly expensive but I believe that the overall quality and amenities make it a worthwhile value. One year my daughter and her husband and child joined us in one of the one bedroom units and they also enjoyed it. Tennis is available, the beach is right there, and the swimming pool is great.

The only negative that I had was in not having an ice machine available to the guests. Instead, you had to call the bell captain to have someone get you ice which meant that your ice wasn't free nor readily available.

About four years ago, due to the traffic congestion in Ft. Lauderdale plus the high cost of Lago Mar, we moved further south to Hollywood Beach. We found a wonderful one bedroom condo right on the beach for about one third less than a single room at Lago Mar. Also, less pretentious and many more choices for food and fun.