We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone familiar with the Ft Lauderdale/Hollywood airport...

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Anyone familiar with the Ft Lauderdale/Hollywood airport...

We plan to get our rental car at the airport and am considering Avis. I went online and saw that Avis, Budget, Dollar and National all show to have counters on premise in the airport. I have a dumb question as we don't usually do car rental from a larger airport. I assume the counter is inside, but the lot where the cars are located may be a good way off premise and you possibly take a shuttle or such to pick up your car. My question is when we return to the airport to depart back home, do we just go turn the car in at the lot and load all our luggage on a shuttle and then go to baggage checkin? Do we have to go back by the desk to turn in the keys or just how does it all work? I know you must be thinking I must be mighty sheltered, but we usually take 2 vacations per year, 1 to Disney and 1 to Key West. We normally fly into Key West so it is not an issue as we just drop the car off at the door and away we go. (If you've ever seen the Key West airport, you know what I mean) At Disney, we always stay at a resort on prem so we just take a limo from the airport to our room and use cabs the rest of the time. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
NJ (of course!)
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone familiar with the Ft Lauderdale/Hollywood airport...

Dusky, all the rentals are off airport. You will be returning the car to the lot off airport and then they take the keys there. You will not have to return to the airport counter.

Bristol, Rhode...
Level Contributor
484 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone familiar with the Ft Lauderdale/Hollywood airport...

When you rent from them you'll go to the counter sign the paper work and a short walk across the street will be the rental car garage..Then when you return the car you follow the signs and it'll bring you to a small building that you'll pull up to and a person will come out to you and give the car a quick once over for damage and print you up a receipt and you grab your belongings and hop on the shuttle and tell the driver who your flying with and he'll bring you to the terminal at your airlines check in...

At least that's the way it was for the couple of times I've rented at FLL...I rented from Dollar and Budget.But I can't see Avis being different...

Mentioned in this post
Ft. Lauderdale Intl Airport
Ft. Lauderdale Intl...
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone familiar with the Ft Lauderdale/Hollywood airport...

Just how large is the FLL airport? Is baggage claim on the same floor as the car rentals?

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone familiar with the Ft Lauderdale/Hollywood airport...

Bump in hopes of a response....

sim
Sunny Isles Beach,FL
Level Contributor
521 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone familiar with the Ft Lauderdale/Hollywood airport...

If you land at terminal 1 all you have to do is follow signs to the rental garage, the counters and the cars are all in one big garage. If you land in the other terminals all you have to do is go outside the baggage area to a bus that will take you to the garage and the counter. One bus serves all the rental agencies.

Brand new and clean. Once you are done the paper work they will direct you to go and pick up the car.Each rental agency has a seperate wing in the garage and it is all marked depending on the type of car you renting. On your way back you just repeat the process, drop off the car and walk to terminal 1 or take bus depending on your departure terminal. If you have many travelers and baggage you may consider dropping them first and returning the car yourself. Good luck.