We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Right Cars / Discovercarhire.com - DO NOT USE

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Right Cars / Discovercarhire.com - DO NOT USE

I DO NOT recommend renting from Right Cars, or booking through DiscoverCarHire.com. Not a good experience at all.

We arrived at the airport in Fort Lauderdale on a Saturday afternoon to pick up the vehicle which we had reserved online, and although it was stated on the booking that it was at Fort Lauderdale Airport, the rental kiosk was actually a 20 minute drive from the airport. We waited for the shuttle for almost half an hour and with 3 kids it was a really unpleasant situation.

When we finally got to the Right Cars desk, we were informed that there were none of the model we reserved available, so they said we would be getting a similar car. We were also told we could not opt out of their insurance, which was an additional $20 a day, even after we proved to the agent that we did not need it as we were covered through our credit card and travel insurance. They wouldn't budge on this.

We were given keys, but when we went to get into the vehicle, we saw that it was filthy inside and out. Mud and dirt in the back seat, and all over the outside. At this point we decided to cancel the booking and rent a car elsewhere.

The agent assured us that a refund for our $50 deposit would be given, we just had to contact the office. Upon returning home and emailing them, after several days of back-and-forth, we were told that since we didn't take photos of the vehicle we were given, a refund was out of the question. Very disappointed as we wasted $50 and had to go elsewhere to get a last minute rental at a higher price.

6 replies to this topic
Chesapeake, Virginia
1 post
1. Re: Right Cars / Discovercarhire.com - DO NOT USE

Well I see I am not the only one who was treated that way, I can't speak for any of their other locations but FLL was the worst rental experience I have ever had. I don't think anyone would ever rent from them twice, I was enticed by the low prices but it s not worth it. NEVER AGAIN!!

Lake Jackson...
Level Contributor
106 posts
210 reviews
2. Re: Right Cars / Discovercarhire.com - DO NOT USE

Sounds like what I would expect from Right Cars. They are the sleaziest outfit I have ever rented a car from! Fortunately, I picked up on that right away, and photo-documented EVERYTHING and managed to escape unscathed.

Montreal, Canada
1 post
1 review
3. Re: Right Cars / Discovercarhire.com - DO NOT USE

I agree completely. A terrible experience. Once at the desk they refused to honor my liability and collision insurance, forcing me to take theirs. Doubled the cost of my rental. Only company thats ever done this to me. A bunch of thieves.

Fort Lauderdale...
1 post
4. Re: Right Cars / Discovercarhire.com - DO NOT USE

You are not the only one, we had one of the worst experiences in Right Cars in Fort Lauderdale Airport. A guy called Franco Carri who claimed one time to be the owner of the business and another time the store manager and another time as just an employee, this person has demonstrated the worst example of customer service pushing us as tourists coming from Canada to buy liability insurance for 150$ despite the fact that we already have one in Canada. We asked him to give us any access to internet or a landline to contact our insurance and send it (since we had no telephone roaming in US) but he refused and said that the telephone and internet are for employees only ! We spent 3 hours in this dilemma and finally had to call the cops to come to find a way with this weird person who refused to show any understanding or cooperation. My little ones ages 6 & 11 and my mother - 75 years old - were very frustrated after 3 hours of waiting with no solution! The cops arrived and told us that its not the first time they got complaints from the same place from many angry customers about deceiving claims and bad customer service but unfortunately they cant do anything and left. There were 2 other families at the same place with us who also complained to the cops of the horrible service for similar issues trying to make them pay more for extra unneeded services. I managed to activate my roaming and we were able to send him the proof of our liability insurance and waited for another 1.5 hours until he claimed he received the mail that was sent to him 3 times and finally after total of 4.5 hours of waiting he admitted our insurance is valid but he changed his mind and didn't want to rent us the car and tore the papers after I signed them all (he probably felt he was not going to make any profit without selling the extra insurance) !!!! I couldn't explain our frustration as we were totally speechless and frustrated and called the cops again as we had fulfilled all the requirements and there was no valid reason for him to refuse the business, the cops advised us to go to the small court and Business Bureau as what they did was totally not acceptable.

Central Virginia
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Right Cars / Discovercarhire.com - DO NOT USE

This company is a rip off, as the previous reviewer stated simply stay away from them. We got the car through Orbitz on a "special deal" and foolishly did not look at the reviews before hand. We can vouch for all that has been said previously and we rented through them in mid-September and nothing has changed. Be prepared to get whacked for insurancechanges, plus a rediculous tool charge package they will all but force on you. Should have known things were not good when the van arrived at the car rental center well after an hour we arrived there, and office is way off the airport in a run down mostly vacant small strip mall. Signs are taped on the windows of the van and office, real professional. Inside not much better, both the wife and I used the bathroom and it was filthy with urine stains on the floor and commode seats. One of the two woman working there was somewhat pleasurable, the other had the attitude and personality of a tree. All in all an awful experience and seriously suggest just staying away from this company. I have written to Orbitz and waiting for what they have to say.

Central Virginia
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Right Cars / Discovercarhire.com - DO NOT USE

Couple of typos in this review. Should read "insurance charges" and a little latter "toll charges"

Reply to: Right Cars / Discovercarhire.com - DO NOT USE
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted